Newcastle Targeting Out Of Favour Defender – Report
By Vanessa Keller | January 4, 2013 12:49 AM EST
Newcastle are targeting West Ham defender James Tomkins, according to reports, with the England Under-21 international joining Alan Pardew's January wishlist as the manager looks to overhaul his squad.
The Toon have now lost eight of their last 10 matches, and have slipped to 15th in the table, a far cry from the 5th-place finish they managed last season.
In their last three matches the side have conceded 13 goals, and Pardew believes the defence is in urgent need of reinforcement.
Talksport claims that Tomkins is currently unhappy with the limited playing time he is getting at West Ham, as he continually left on the bench in favour of James Collins.
As a result, the 23-year-old is open to offers to move elsewhere. Pardew worked with Tomkins during his time in charge of the Hammers, and a deal could be a win for both the player and club.
Pardew has admitted that with the recent string of terrible results, Newcastle fans will be banking on the club making some purchases to show they are serious about becoming a consistently safe side in the Premier League this season and beyond.
"I need a couple of players in this group, and maybe even three," he said just before the window opened.
But he added: "Whether we can get them here, on a financial front, remains to be seen."
Pardew also said that Newcastle should have purchased more players in the summer, rather than relying on a group who have since been depleted through injury and exits.
"Mike [Ashley] would openly say that, in the summer, we should have bought another player," he said.
Though relief for Newcastle fans will ultimately come when results improve, Pardew has been clear he will improve the squad this month, and a player like Tomkins would only be positive for a defence that have been faltering so often lately.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- No Kevin Love to Cleveland, Andrew Wiggins to Stay with Cavaliers
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Rafael Nadal’s Retirement Plan Includes Becoming Pro Poker Player; Spaniard To Unveil New Serve at US Open
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More