Newcastle Targeting Out Of Favour Defender – Report
By Vanessa Keller | January 4, 2013 12:49 AM EST
Newcastle are targeting West Ham defender James Tomkins, according to reports, with the England Under-21 international joining Alan Pardew's January wishlist as the manager looks to overhaul his squad.
The Toon have now lost eight of their last 10 matches, and have slipped to 15th in the table, a far cry from the 5th-place finish they managed last season.
In their last three matches the side have conceded 13 goals, and Pardew believes the defence is in urgent need of reinforcement.
Talksport claims that Tomkins is currently unhappy with the limited playing time he is getting at West Ham, as he continually left on the bench in favour of James Collins.
As a result, the 23-year-old is open to offers to move elsewhere. Pardew worked with Tomkins during his time in charge of the Hammers, and a deal could be a win for both the player and club.
Pardew has admitted that with the recent string of terrible results, Newcastle fans will be banking on the club making some purchases to show they are serious about becoming a consistently safe side in the Premier League this season and beyond.
"I need a couple of players in this group, and maybe even three," he said just before the window opened.
But he added: "Whether we can get them here, on a financial front, remains to be seen."
Pardew also said that Newcastle should have purchased more players in the summer, rather than relying on a group who have since been depleted through injury and exits.
"Mike [Ashley] would openly say that, in the summer, we should have bought another player," he said.
Though relief for Newcastle fans will ultimately come when results improve, Pardew has been clear he will improve the squad this month, and a player like Tomkins would only be positive for a defence that have been faltering so often lately.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Meet Paige VanZant, The Next UFC Sensation In The Women's Division
- Sharapova, Halep, Ivanovic, Wozniacki, Kvitova, Radwanska, Kerber Make Early Commitment To Stuttgart Open
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]