Rovers Delay New Manager Appointment Until February
By Nick Howson | January 4, 2013 12:32 AM EST
Blackburn Rovers will delay appointing a new permanent manager until at least February after confirming that Gary Bowyer and Terry McPhillips will remain in temporary charge until the end of the month.
Rovers sacked Henning Berg after 57 days at the helm in December, having taken over a month to find a successor to Steve Kean, who resigned in September with the club third in the Championship.
Despite global advisor Shebby Singh stating his desire to appoint a new manager on New Year's Day, Rovers have confirmed both Bowyer and McPhillips, who helped guide the club to recent victories over Barnsley and Nottingham Forest, will continue in charge.
"Blackburn Rovers FC has today announced that will remain in charge of first team affairs until the end of January," a club statement read.
"This decision follows discussions between the Owners, Directors and Global Advisor.
"The club would like to take this opportunity to thank Gary, Terry and the rest of the staff for their sterling efforts over recent days which have helped produce two successive and important league victories.
"The club's search for a new permanent manager will continue in earnest."
Berg won just one of his ten matches in charge before being relieved of his duties on 27 December with the club 17th in the Championship, with Singh subsequently claiming prior to the New Year that a new boss would be in place in early January; a plan which has been scuppered following discussions with the Venky's owers.
"I have made my submissions to my bosses," Singh revealed on New Year's Eve. "They will receive it, then we will talk about it.
"We would like to make an appointment on New Year's Day to start the New Year in the right way and to see the back of a horrible 2012."
Another broken promise will do little to improve the mood around Ewood Park following a torrid 2012 for Rovers which saw relegation from the Premier League come against the backdrop of angry protests from supporters concerning the nature of the running of the club.
During an interview with Radio Five Live on Saturday, Singh stated he was seeking a coach for the vacant position as head of the first team.
"We would like to be coached," Singh said. "I think coaching is very, very important. Then comes managing.
"It is not a ready made team, we are in transition, we are rebuilding, not only the football aspect but the emotional aspect of the players, the emotional health of the players after relegation.
"A lot of things have to be considered. I put up my hands and say if I got it wrong I got it wrong.
"Experience is something we are looking at, and I have had a conversation with a couple of very, very experienced managers.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Melanoma Could Be Caused By Ageing Genes; Best Diet For Anti-Ageing; Celebrities Who Have Aged Gracefully
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal Back In Action To Target Novak Djokovic At China Open
- Bruce Jenner Says Lamar Odom Should Follow His Heart If He Wants To Get Back Together With Khloe Kardashian
- Maria Sharapova On Relationship With Grigor Dimitrov: ‘Everything Is Great’; Dimitrov Was Present At Sharapova’s First Round Match In China
- Green Bay Packers Vs. Chicago Bears Live Streaming Info And Preview
- Grigor Dimitrov Turns To Novak Djokovic For Love Advice; Dimitrov and Sharapova At The 2014 China Open
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Boxing News 2014: Social Media War Between Boxers Continues As Pacquiao Repeats Comment That Mayweather Acts Like Uneducated Person, While Ignoring ‘Miss Pac Man’ Post
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate