Google's Eric Schmidt to Visit North Korea
By Geetha Pillai | January 3, 2013 8:34 PM EST
Google's executive chairman Eric Schmidt will visit North Korea, marking the first high-profile visit from the US-based tech giant to the reclusive Asian nation in several years.
According to an Associated Press report, Schmidt will be joining an unofficial delegation to visit Pyongyang which will include Democratic politician and former New Mexico governor Bill Richardson.
Richardson was also the US ambassador to the UN during the administration of Bill Clinton and has visited North Korea several times since 1994. His last visit was in 2010.
The visit is planned towards the end of January, though the precise details are yet to emerge.
North's new leader Kim Jong-un is pushing for economic and technological development in the country, though it is considered to have the world's most restrictive cyber policies.
In his New Year message to the nation, the young leader declared that his country is in the midst of a modern-day industrial revolution.
"The industrial revolution in the new century is, in essence, a scientific and technological revolution, and breaking through the cutting edge is a shortcut to the building of an economic giant," said Kim.
Schmidt's visit comes at a time when the United Nations is deliberating on ways to punish North Korea for a rocket launch in December which defied international calls to abandon its nuclear ambitions.
Recently North Korea revealed that it has jailed an American citizen of Korean origin on suspicion of committing hostile acts against the state.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Iran Leader Asks Muslims to Supply Arms to Palestine, Calls Israel ‘Rapacious Wolf’
- Australia Asked National Media to Suppress Multi-National Corruption Case: WikiLeaks
- El Niño Update: 2014 Threat Easing, ‘Unlikely to be a Strong Event’ – Australia BoM
- “Women should not laugh in public” - Turkish Deputy PM says
- Opinion Poll in New Zealand Shows National Party Far Ahead in Popular Support
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date