Google's Eric Schmidt to Visit North Korea
By Geetha Pillai | January 3, 2013 8:34 PM EST
Google's executive chairman Eric Schmidt will visit North Korea, marking the first high-profile visit from the US-based tech giant to the reclusive Asian nation in several years.
According to an Associated Press report, Schmidt will be joining an unofficial delegation to visit Pyongyang which will include Democratic politician and former New Mexico governor Bill Richardson.
Richardson was also the US ambassador to the UN during the administration of Bill Clinton and has visited North Korea several times since 1994. His last visit was in 2010.
The visit is planned towards the end of January, though the precise details are yet to emerge.
North's new leader Kim Jong-un is pushing for economic and technological development in the country, though it is considered to have the world's most restrictive cyber policies.
In his New Year message to the nation, the young leader declared that his country is in the midst of a modern-day industrial revolution.
"The industrial revolution in the new century is, in essence, a scientific and technological revolution, and breaking through the cutting edge is a shortcut to the building of an economic giant," said Kim.
Schmidt's visit comes at a time when the United Nations is deliberating on ways to punish North Korea for a rocket launch in December which defied international calls to abandon its nuclear ambitions.
Recently North Korea revealed that it has jailed an American citizen of Korean origin on suspicion of committing hostile acts against the state.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ukraine Crisis: Putin Dangles Nuclear War Threat, US Senators Advise Sending Defensive Weapons
- James Foley Is A Spy – Jihadi Recruiter Reveals
- Australia's Renewable Energy Industry Braces for Removal of Support
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- Australia Races Against Potential Genocide In Iraq
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Google Can Kill Samsung with Android KitKat and Android One: Here's How