Funny Video: Stephen Hawking Talks 'Supermassive Black Hole' in Go Compare Advert [VIDEO]
By Arlene Paredes | January 3, 2013 4:52 PM EST
Professor Stephen Hawking, who has appeared in the hit CBS sitcom "The Big Bang Theory," is featured in a new Go Compare advertisement. The brilliant scientist showed once again that he has a knack for pulling off funny "Bazinga" moments.
"Bazinga" is a term used by TBBT nerdy character Sheldon Cooper to punctuate his personal jokes. It could literally mean, "Gotcha." Cooper's personal hero is Professor Hawking. The second time Professor Hawking was a guest on the series, he playfully engaged Cooper in a joke which also relates to black holes.
"What do Sheldon Cooper and a black hole have in common?" Hawking asks Sheldon. "They both suck. Neener, neener, neener," goes the punchline. The joke came after Sheldon realized Hawking does not like losing in Zynga's Words With Friends. Sheldon deliberately lets Hawking win and receives the funny insult in return.
Professor Hawking Has Formulized Black Hole Generation? Wait for it --
"After a lifetime of study, I have finally calculated and formulized the exact conditions needed to generate a supermassive black hole," says Professor Hawking in the new Go Compare advert. His audience was shocked, unsure of how to react next. Then someone asks, "What would you do with it, professor?" Apparently, Professor Hawking wants to "silence" someone.
It turns out Hawking wants the black hole to suck in Welsh tenor Wynne Evans, who plays Gio Compario in Go Compare's "Saving the Nation" self-deprecating ad series.
It seems Go Compare is going by a strategy called amuse-them-if-you-can't-please them. Aware that its advert theme is not well-appreciated by its audience, Go Compare went for self-deprecating humour to keep the company in its target market's mind.
"I confess I am a fan of the Gocompare.com adverts, but I am also an opera fan, so I was delighted to be given the opportunity to help save the nation and silence Gio. I hope the public find it as funny as I did," Hawking was quoted by Digital Spy as saying.
"Having Professor Hawking take on Gio has been an incredible experience. We were thrilled to hear he was a fan of the ads and believe his appearance will really take viewers by surprise," says Kevin Hughes, chief finance and marketing officer of Go Compare.
In its earlier advert, Go Compare had Sue Barker attack Gio with a bazooka. The ad sparked criticisms from several TV viewers, saying the ad content promotes violence. The Advertising Standards Authority had confirmed receiving official complaints against the ad.
Funny Video: Stephen Hawking creates black hole for a cause
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFO Sighting in Australia: A Mysterious 'Flying' Object With Changing Colors Observed[Watch Video]
- Volcano Eruption In Iceland: Lava Erupts More Than 50 Meters High, Prompts Aviation Alert [Video]
- Artificial Micro-Humans to Replace Animals in Lab Tests: 90 Million Animal Lives Would be Saved
- Images Of Solar Flare Captured By NASA [Watch Video]
- Stargazing: Saturn, Moon and Mars Meet Up Last August 31
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- Leaker of Actresses Nude Photos Accepting PayPal Donations in Exchange For Posting Alleged Sex Video of Jennifer Lawrence, Has Naked Pictures of 100 Hollywood A-Listers