Funny Video: Stephen Hawking Talks 'Supermassive Black Hole' in Go Compare Advert [VIDEO]
By Arlene Paredes | January 3, 2013 4:52 PM EST
Professor Stephen Hawking, who has appeared in the hit CBS sitcom "The Big Bang Theory," is featured in a new Go Compare advertisement. The brilliant scientist showed once again that he has a knack for pulling off funny "Bazinga" moments.
"Bazinga" is a term used by TBBT nerdy character Sheldon Cooper to punctuate his personal jokes. It could literally mean, "Gotcha." Cooper's personal hero is Professor Hawking. The second time Professor Hawking was a guest on the series, he playfully engaged Cooper in a joke which also relates to black holes.
"What do Sheldon Cooper and a black hole have in common?" Hawking asks Sheldon. "They both suck. Neener, neener, neener," goes the punchline. The joke came after Sheldon realized Hawking does not like losing in Zynga's Words With Friends. Sheldon deliberately lets Hawking win and receives the funny insult in return.
Professor Hawking Has Formulized Black Hole Generation? Wait for it --
"After a lifetime of study, I have finally calculated and formulized the exact conditions needed to generate a supermassive black hole," says Professor Hawking in the new Go Compare advert. His audience was shocked, unsure of how to react next. Then someone asks, "What would you do with it, professor?" Apparently, Professor Hawking wants to "silence" someone.
It turns out Hawking wants the black hole to suck in Welsh tenor Wynne Evans, who plays Gio Compario in Go Compare's "Saving the Nation" self-deprecating ad series.
It seems Go Compare is going by a strategy called amuse-them-if-you-can't-please them. Aware that its advert theme is not well-appreciated by its audience, Go Compare went for self-deprecating humour to keep the company in its target market's mind.
"I confess I am a fan of the Gocompare.com adverts, but I am also an opera fan, so I was delighted to be given the opportunity to help save the nation and silence Gio. I hope the public find it as funny as I did," Hawking was quoted by Digital Spy as saying.
"Having Professor Hawking take on Gio has been an incredible experience. We were thrilled to hear he was a fan of the ads and believe his appearance will really take viewers by surprise," says Kevin Hughes, chief finance and marketing officer of Go Compare.
In its earlier advert, Go Compare had Sue Barker attack Gio with a bazooka. The ad sparked criticisms from several TV viewers, saying the ad content promotes violence. The Advertising Standards Authority had confirmed receiving official complaints against the ad.
Funny Video: Stephen Hawking creates black hole for a cause
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- NASA Scientists Advance Understanding of Climate Change With The Help Of IceCube
- NASA: Early Earth Likely To Have Been Hit By Giant Asteroids
- First Ever Man-Made Leaf That Could Provide Oxygen During Space Travel: A Breathtaking Leap [Watch Video]
- Hair Iron Could Spell the Future of Instant Hair Colour - US Engineers [Watch Video]
- Changes in Global Vegetation to Be Tracked Through Two New Instruments: NASA
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- HTC One M8 Windows Phone to Launch for Verizon; Release Date, Price, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate for New Smartphone
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff