Sensex Likely To Rise Thursday Amid Upbeat China, US Data
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | January 3, 2013 3:39 PM EST
China's non-manufacturing activity rose in December compared to that in the previous month, decreasing the concerns over the slowdown in the economic growth of the country. According to the data released on Thursday by the National Bureau of Statistics and China Federation of Logistics and Purchasing, the non-manufacturing Purchasing Managers' Index rose to 56.1 in December, up from 55.6 in November.
On Thursday, Hong Kong's Hang Seng gained 0.28 percent, or 64.96 points, to 23376.94. Among major gainers were Citic Pacific Ltd (11.42 percent) and Sands China Ltd (5.30 percent).
On Wednesday, the U.S. stocks rose as investor confidence turned positive with the House of Representatives passing the Senate approved bill intended to avert the looming fiscal cliff consisting of tax increases and spending cuts. Investors sense that this deal was much needed to prevent the U.S. economy from falling over and returning to recession.
Meanwhile, according to the data released on Wednesday by the Institute of Supply Management, manufacturing Purchasing Managers’ Index, rose to 50.7 in December, up from 49.5 in November. A level above 50 represents expansion in the industry.
The Dow Jones Industrial Average rose 2.35 percent, the S&P 500 Index was up 2.54 percent and the Nasdaq Composite Index gained 3.07 percent.
European markets also rose Wednesday following global cues. London's FTSE 100 was up 129.56 points, Germany's DAX 30 index rose 166.39 points and France's CAC 40 gained 92.86 points.
On Wednesday, the Sensex rose 0.68 percent to 19714.24 at the close. The overall market breadth was positive with 1797 advances against 1166 declines. The BSE's Midcap Index gained 0.56 percent to 7238 and Smallcap Index advanced 0.90 percent to 7519.83.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’