Sensex Likely To Rise Thursday Amid Upbeat China, US Data
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | January 3, 2013 3:39 PM EST
China's non-manufacturing activity rose in December compared to that in the previous month, decreasing the concerns over the slowdown in the economic growth of the country. According to the data released on Thursday by the National Bureau of Statistics and China Federation of Logistics and Purchasing, the non-manufacturing Purchasing Managers' Index rose to 56.1 in December, up from 55.6 in November.
On Thursday, Hong Kong's Hang Seng gained 0.28 percent, or 64.96 points, to 23376.94. Among major gainers were Citic Pacific Ltd (11.42 percent) and Sands China Ltd (5.30 percent).
On Wednesday, the U.S. stocks rose as investor confidence turned positive with the House of Representatives passing the Senate approved bill intended to avert the looming fiscal cliff consisting of tax increases and spending cuts. Investors sense that this deal was much needed to prevent the U.S. economy from falling over and returning to recession.
Meanwhile, according to the data released on Wednesday by the Institute of Supply Management, manufacturing Purchasing Managers’ Index, rose to 50.7 in December, up from 49.5 in November. A level above 50 represents expansion in the industry.
The Dow Jones Industrial Average rose 2.35 percent, the S&P 500 Index was up 2.54 percent and the Nasdaq Composite Index gained 3.07 percent.
European markets also rose Wednesday following global cues. London's FTSE 100 was up 129.56 points, Germany's DAX 30 index rose 166.39 points and France's CAC 40 gained 92.86 points.
On Wednesday, the Sensex rose 0.68 percent to 19714.24 at the close. The overall market breadth was positive with 1797 advances against 1166 declines. The BSE's Midcap Index gained 0.56 percent to 7238 and Smallcap Index advanced 0.90 percent to 7519.83.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- South Australia OKs $800M Copper, Gold & Iron Ore Mine on Prime Agri Land in Yorke Peninsula
- Australian Stock Market Report –Midday July 30, 2014
- Shanghai Stock Exchange Will Not Extend Trading Hours
- Long Beach Real Estate Market Is Pricing Out Home Buyers with Limited Budget
- Australian Stock Market Report –Afternoon July 30, 2014
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install