Sensex Likely To Rise Thursday Amid Upbeat China, US Data
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | January 3, 2013 3:39 PM EST
China's non-manufacturing activity rose in December compared to that in the previous month, decreasing the concerns over the slowdown in the economic growth of the country. According to the data released on Thursday by the National Bureau of Statistics and China Federation of Logistics and Purchasing, the non-manufacturing Purchasing Managers' Index rose to 56.1 in December, up from 55.6 in November.
On Thursday, Hong Kong's Hang Seng gained 0.28 percent, or 64.96 points, to 23376.94. Among major gainers were Citic Pacific Ltd (11.42 percent) and Sands China Ltd (5.30 percent).
On Wednesday, the U.S. stocks rose as investor confidence turned positive with the House of Representatives passing the Senate approved bill intended to avert the looming fiscal cliff consisting of tax increases and spending cuts. Investors sense that this deal was much needed to prevent the U.S. economy from falling over and returning to recession.
Meanwhile, according to the data released on Wednesday by the Institute of Supply Management, manufacturing Purchasing Managers’ Index, rose to 50.7 in December, up from 49.5 in November. A level above 50 represents expansion in the industry.
The Dow Jones Industrial Average rose 2.35 percent, the S&P 500 Index was up 2.54 percent and the Nasdaq Composite Index gained 3.07 percent.
European markets also rose Wednesday following global cues. London's FTSE 100 was up 129.56 points, Germany's DAX 30 index rose 166.39 points and France's CAC 40 gained 92.86 points.
On Wednesday, the Sensex rose 0.68 percent to 19714.24 at the close. The overall market breadth was positive with 1797 advances against 1166 declines. The BSE's Midcap Index gained 0.56 percent to 7238 and Smallcap Index advanced 0.90 percent to 7519.83.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Unidentified Benefactor Offers $30M Reward For Identity Of MH 17 Bombers; MAS Criticises Kiwi Author For Suggesting MH 370 Pilot Plotted Death Of Passengers & Crew
- Australian Stock Market Report – Midday September 19, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report – Afternoon September 18, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report – Midday September 18, 2014
- Financial Intelligence Agency Suspends Sydney Remittance Firm Over Suspicions It Is Used To Finance Terrorism In Middle East
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best