Food Trends for 2013
By Vittorio Hernandez | January 3, 2013 3:21 PM EST
Like previous yearend holidays, 2012 ended with a lot of feasting across different nations and continents. The menu varied from national favourite dishes to traditional yearend holiday food ranging from pasta to fresh fruit.
Food experts and observers share their outlook for the gastronomic world in 2013.
Global marketing group JWT released on Thursday its yearly Things to Watch list that had seven items as its 2013 food trends as follows:
1. Food sharing - Swapping of home cooked meals with others with the aid of technology.
2. Faux meat - Availability of more meat substitutes for people who are health or budget conscious.
3. Mid-calorie foods - Offers reduced calories but taste would not be compromised.
4. Menu-free dining - Being able to order at a restaurant whatever you want.
5. Allergen-free foods - Facilities would make available food free of allergens to dairy products and peanuts.
6. Yoghurt shops - Non-frozen yoghurt with healthy toppings.
7. Vegan babies - The trend among vegan parents to raise their children on vegan diet.
The Vegetarian Butcher, a Dutch restaurant which led the faux meat trend, is spreading the movement in different countries. Spoon's Vegetarian Butcher in Sydney, for instance offers replacement chicken, sausage, burger and schnitzel products, while Bo se Trai, an eatery in Footscray run by Buddhist monks, serves mock meat and seafood.
For online shared meal cooperative service, there are already the Mealku in New York and Super Marmite in Paris, and similar establishments are expected to open in other global cities. The service connects home cooks with other home chefs and the service is popular among single people and couple households who have a lot of leftovers or cook more than they need.
Judy Hervdegs and Bill Haley, contributors to the Chicago Tribune, has the following 12 food trends for 2013:
1. Heirloom chicken - Similar to the heirloom turkey and heirloom pig trend of the past, with the possible emergence of high-quality fast-casual restaurants that specialises in chicken meals. One example is Bantam & Biddy in Atlanta.
2. More veggies - Kale, a form of cabbage with green or purple leaves, best in frozen salad, is said to be the veggie to look out for. It is used in Dutch, Irish, Chinese, Vietnamese and Vietnamese recipes. The in fruit would be baobab, which has vitamin C, fibre and calcium.
3. Regional cooking - More of local, seasonal and distinctive regional styles of cooking.
4. Techno shopping - The purchase of food items from groceries using technological devices and apps.
5. Greek yogurt - Consists of dressings, dips, sauces, smoothies, soda and cheesecakes with Mediterranean ingredient garnishes.
6. Noodling - Udon, soba, cellophane and rice noodles in layered bowls with fragrant soups and mixed-textured salads.
7. Tummy time - Avoiding harmful substances and shifting to beneficial ones, particularly those that would benefit a person's digestive health such as gluten or probiotics.
8. Molecular gastronomy - Focuses on physical and chemical transformation of ingredients that occur while cooking.
9. High-end Bordeaux - This item will be out because of its astronomical price.
10. Fast-food favourites - Mini-burgers, Korean tacos and fancy cupcakes which will remain popular among foodies.
11. Packing the pantry - Due to the economic downturn, people used their stocks. This year is the time to restock the pantry.
12. Liquid sugar - Lower sales for sugar-laden sodas and fruit juices, except for freshly squeezed/pressed juices.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- Ice Bucket Challenge Toddler Scarlett-Rose Davis Who Uses F-Word Apologises - Watch Original Video
- UFO With Changing Colours Sighted By Lower Paxton Township Police In Pennsylvania
- Musician Tom DeLonge Encounters Multiple UFOs in San Diego
- New Nail Polish Changes Colour When Exposed to Date-Rape Drugs: Helps Women Safety
- A Fish That Walks; Scientists Find A Fish That Does Better On Land Than Water[Video]
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Confirmed as Apple Sets Sept 9 iWatch, 2 iPhones Intro - Report
- Why Moto X is Not the Best Smartphone to Purchase Now?
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini vs. LG G3 S (aka LG G3 Beat, LG G3 Mini) – Specs, Features And Price Showdown
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected