Lavish Chinese Wedding: $150M Dowry, 8 Days of Banquet in Fujian
By Vittorio Hernandez | January 3, 2013 2:40 PM EST
The chairman of Chinese ceramics firm Fujian Wanli Group, Wu Duanbiao, sponsored a lavish feast to celebrate on Sunday the wedding of his daughter.
The South China Morning Post reported that the lucky couple received almost $150 million in gifts from her doting father, who also paid for an eight-day banquet. The gifts include four boxes of gold jewelry, $3 million deposited in the couple's bank account, donations to charities in their names, five million shares in Fujian Wanli Group valued at $15 million, a Porsche and a Mercedes Benz, and an impressive property portfolio.
Because of the mega dowry provided by the rich father-in-law, the groom's finances vastly improved after his Sunday wedding to his childhood sweetheart. The groom, identified as a government official named Xu, used to earn only $24,000 a year before his marriage. The bride and groom were classmates since they were in kindergarten until high school.
Miss Wu then studied at Xiamen University and in the UK, and later became a board member of the family company.
The dowry is a common practice in many Asian countries to ensure the bride will be treated by the husband and his family. Seven-digit dowries are common among rich families in China's Fujian province. Besides the newly married couple, two rich billionaires from the province gave seven-digit dowries for their daughter and niece who married in December.
The son-in-law is apparently a lucky chap because due to the scarcity of eligible Chinese women due to China's law on single birth, many single Chinese men even pay fees beginning at $30,000 just to find a bride.
Matching-making sites such as this one are offering Chinese men and other males single Asian women for marriage.
The report of the mega dowry prompted the Apple Daily, a Chinese newspaper, to comment that marrying the daughter of a rich Fujian resident is "better than robbing a bank."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Kendall Jenner Rocks Semi-Nude Balmain Lattice Dress At Paris Fashion Week [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton And Prince William Have Chosen The Name Of Their Second Child- Details
- Hoax Alert: 'Ebola Vaccine Only Works on White Skin' Viral Story Not True
- Local Syrians Have Mixed Reactions To US Airstrikes Against ISIS; Opposition 'Suspicious'
- Melbourne Wakes Up To Anti-Terror Raids: Seabrook Man Arrested For Funding Terrorist Organisation
- Gunman Killed In Brisbane Shoot-out On Live TV
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate