Rory Doesn't Come Cheap
By Golf 365 | January 3, 2013 1:24 PM EST
Rory McIlroy is said to have raised his appearance fee to a whopping $2 million after his most recent major-winning exploits.
That number puts him right up there with golf's longtime golden boy Tiger Woods, who is also said to still command $2 million just for the honour of having him show up at your tournament.
Australia's Herald Sun reports that Australian Open officials were ready to pay McIlroy $1 million to appear at their event, but that after the Northern Irishman won his second major at the US PGA Championship in August, the asking price was subsequently doubled and the deal was called off.
Considering that McIlroy made $8.0 million in prize money on the PGA Tour this year and $4.9 million on the European Tour, and that his lucrative endorsement deal with Nike (estimated to be around $20 million per year) has all but been announced, the World No 1 is fast on his way to becoming an incredibly wealthy man.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Lionel Messi's Gunners Link a Ploy to Receive Improved Deal
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown