2012 Was Drudge Report's Most Successful Year Yet With 11 Billion Views
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | January 3, 2013 12:49 PM EST
Drudge Report, one of the most popular news websites in the world, had its most successful year in 2012 with more than 11 billion views.
The eye-popping figure - 11,103,636,815 to be precise - is the highest in the site's 18-year history, and a good enough number to make Drudge Report the internet's 407th-most-popular website, according to Alexa.
That's not too shabby at all coming from a site that has just two employees and began humbly as an email newsletter in 1996 before hitting the big time when it broke the Monica Lewinsky scandal after Newsweek declined to run the story.
Matt Drudge, the site's namesake and owner, has been at the helm of the Report since the beginning, and he is behind the site's genre-creating news aggregation model. He is also the basis for the site's slant, which has been described as Conservative-leaning but has a long-running independent streak, much like Drudge himself.
The site sports a very simple and sparse design, but the layout helps allow the site to efficiently serve its purpose of being a one-stop shop for folks wanting to know what's going on in Washington and around the world, as filtered through Matt Drudge's discerning eye and distinct set of values.
Drudge Report is essentially just a plain site featuring a couple dozen links to the stories Drudge and co. deem most important, intriguing, or otherwise worthy of reading, at any given time, organized neatly in a clean manner with just a few sparse photos.
Its unique design makes it very ease to browse, and many politicos and news hounds keep it open all day long, as they seek to find out the newest bits of information that will pop up there the next time it refreshes.
The popularity of Drudge Report has been rising over time, and it in fact has risen to the 407th spot from 425th on the list of most-popular websites in just the period since September.
The site reported its number of views on its homepage on Wednesday, and accompanied it with a graph showing the growth of the site over time. In 2011 it had just over 10 billion, in 2010 it was closer to 9 billion, and so on, all the way down to 2005, when it was in the range of one to two billion.
This massive growth is due in part to the spread of the Internet and home computing, but it is also a function of Drudge Report's continued relevancy.
And it appears Matt Drudge and his colleagues are taking note, judging by a thank you message the site ran Wednesday.
"Thanks a billion!" the quote read. "For making 2012 DrudgeReport's BIGGEST in 18 year history..."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kanye West, Ben Affleck, Serena Williams Are Victims Of Migraines: Ways To Tackle It
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
Join the Conversation
- Twitter Photo Of British Medical Muslima Student Holding Severed Head
- Australia's Imam Council Rebuffs Abbott Decision To Send Troops; Wants 'Islamic' Dropped From ISIS
- Strike vs ISIS Countdown: Arab Nations Signify Intent to Join U.S. Fight
- Germany to Send Soldiers to Iraq, Bans Displays of Support for ISIS
- Russia to Create Emergency Fund for Sanctions-Hit Companies, to Build New Rail Line Bypassing Ukraine
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date