Apple Mulls an ‘iPhone Mini’ Release
By Erik Pineda | January 3, 2013 11:57 AM EST
Apple will reportedly issue new smartphones in colourful casings - three in one-tone: pink, yellow, blue; and the rest in two-tone: white & silver and black & slate. These new handsets will be called iPhone 5S and are set for a June 2013 release.
According to Topeka Capital Markets analyst Brian White, Apple is all set to overhaul its smartphone lineup after more than five years of setting the pace in the global handset industry purportedly to further strengthen its grip to the top post.
Reportedly part of Apple's new smartphone blueprint, which the tech giant is likely to unfurl by Q3 2013, is to offer two different screen sizes for the iPhone 5S, strongly suggesting that there is an 'iPhone Mini' currently in the works.
"The next iPhone will offer customers more choice in terms of screen size," BGR News reported Mr White as saying on Wednesday.
This move "will allow Apple to better bifurcate the market and expand its reach," the Topeka analyst added.
It will also mark the tech giant's second industry adjustment to address emerging trends that slowly eat up on its market dominance. It'll be recalled that Apple was compelled to release the iPad Mini in Q4 2012, which analysts said was a decision designed to arrest the rise of specific Android tablet models - Google's Nexus 7 and Amazon's Kindle Fire.
Apple is now aiming to fortify its top position by coming up with products that would appeal to wider market segments. If ever an iPhone Mini comes into fruition, it is expected to carry lower price tags, likely more attractive than the numbers that were previously attached to the iPad Mini.
Buoyed by the incredible reception generated by the iPad Mini, most notably in China, Apple appears more convinced to stretch the market attraction of its smartphone line, with Mr White forecasting "that the next iPhone will have more choices for customers."
"This entails an expansion in both the colour patterns and screen sizes with the next iPhone that we currently believe will be launched in May/June with certain supply production starting in March/April," Mr White was quoted by BGR as saying in his research note.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- California Fruits Recalled in USA and Canada for Possible Listeria Contamination
- Malaysian Airlines Flight 17: Air Carrier Losing $1.6 Million/Day; Crisis Management Experts Suggest Hiring Risk Expert as CEO
- The IBM and Apple Merger: Will it Spell Trouble to Rival Companies
- CBA, NAB, Westpac in Fixed Rate War Offering Below 5% Interest
- Radio Australia Cuts to Affect Isolated Vanuatu Residents Who Rely on It for Weather Bulletins
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales