Panda Blood Contains Antibiotic That Kills Drug-Resistant Bacteria & Fungi
By Maria Vultaggio | January 3, 2013 11:39 AM EST
Saving the endangered panda from extinction has become even more urgent now that the bear's blood could be used to create new drugs.
Scientists have discovered that pandas produce a powerful antibiotic in their blood stream that kills bacteria and fungi, the Telegraph writes.
The substance would help create new types of treatment for drug-resistant "superbugs" and other infections, researchers believe.
It’s thought the bear releases the antibiotic into its immune system to protect itself from infections in the wild, the news site said.
After analyzing the panda’s DNA, researchers discovered the compound, which they call cathelicidin-AM.
Luckily, scientists don’t need to use actual panda blood, so they need not rely on the bear's notoriously unreliable breeding in order to obtain the new antibiotic. Instead, it will be synthesized in the lab.
Dr Xiuwen Yan, who was in charge of the research at the Life Sciences College of Nanjing Agricultural University in China, said about the cathelicidin-AM in panda blood:
“It showed potential antimicrobial activities against wide spectrum of microorganisms including bacteria and fungi, both standard and drug-resistant strains.
“Under the pressure of increasing microorganisms with drug resistance against conventional antibiotics, there is urgent need to develop new type of antimicrobial agents. Gene-encoded antimicrobial peptides play an important role in innate immunity against noxious microorganisms. They cause much less drug resistance of microbes than conventional antibiotics.”
Panda numbers have dwindled down to nearly 1,600, according to the Telegraph, since a majority of their bamboo forests in China and Southeast Asia have been destroyed.
Since it’s been discovered that the beautiful black and white bears produce a powerful substance that can help create new drugs, there is hope that the case to conserve the endangered creatures will be strengthened.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]
- Sony Xperia Z3 Specs Leaked with More Killer Features Ahead of Samsung Galaxy Note 4, iPhone 6