Panda Blood Contains Antibiotic That Kills Drug-Resistant Bacteria & Fungi
By Maria Vultaggio | January 3, 2013 11:39 AM EST
Saving the endangered panda from extinction has become even more urgent now that the bear's blood could be used to create new drugs.
Scientists have discovered that pandas produce a powerful antibiotic in their blood stream that kills bacteria and fungi, the Telegraph writes.
The substance would help create new types of treatment for drug-resistant "superbugs" and other infections, researchers believe.
It’s thought the bear releases the antibiotic into its immune system to protect itself from infections in the wild, the news site said.
After analyzing the panda’s DNA, researchers discovered the compound, which they call cathelicidin-AM.
Luckily, scientists don’t need to use actual panda blood, so they need not rely on the bear's notoriously unreliable breeding in order to obtain the new antibiotic. Instead, it will be synthesized in the lab.
Dr Xiuwen Yan, who was in charge of the research at the Life Sciences College of Nanjing Agricultural University in China, said about the cathelicidin-AM in panda blood:
“It showed potential antimicrobial activities against wide spectrum of microorganisms including bacteria and fungi, both standard and drug-resistant strains.
“Under the pressure of increasing microorganisms with drug resistance against conventional antibiotics, there is urgent need to develop new type of antimicrobial agents. Gene-encoded antimicrobial peptides play an important role in innate immunity against noxious microorganisms. They cause much less drug resistance of microbes than conventional antibiotics.”
Panda numbers have dwindled down to nearly 1,600, according to the Telegraph, since a majority of their bamboo forests in China and Southeast Asia have been destroyed.
Since it’s been discovered that the beautiful black and white bears produce a powerful substance that can help create new drugs, there is hope that the case to conserve the endangered creatures will be strengthened.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Firms Up as iWatch Rollout Delayed to Jan 2015 – Reports
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- North Korea Banker Who Manages Money of Kim Jong-un Defects to Russia With $5 Million
- Malaysia Airlines to Axe 4,000 Employees, Including CEO; Suspends Trading of Shares
- Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7, Nexus 10 New Paranoid Android 4.5 Beta 2 Update Guide
- US And Australia Share Visa And Immigration Information
- Finally, OnePlus One Can Be Purchased Without An Invite; Pre-Order Starts From October