Internet Celebrates 30th Birthday for the New Year
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | January 3, 2013 5:13 AM EST
The internet, one of the world's most innovative creations turned 30 years as on Tuesday.
The journey of the internet which was originally christened as ARPANET (Advanced Research Projects Agency Network) began on 1 January, 1983. It was then the inventors of ARPANET decided to switch over from Network Control Protocol to Transmission Control Protocol and Internet Protocol or TCP / IP.
ARPANET is a military project based on Welsh scientist Donald Davies's design that was developed at the universities, such as University of California (Los Angeles (UCLA)) and the Stanford Research Institute in 1960. Later in 1973, the work on Transmission Control Protocol (TCP) technology started, and the new method of linking computers led to the evolution of internet.
"I don't think that anybody making that switch on the day would have realised the importance of what they were doing," said Chris Edwards, an electronics correspondent for Engineering and Technology magazine, as quoted by the Daily Telegraph."But without it the internet and the World Wide Web as we know them could not have happened."
In 1989, the British scientist Tim Berners-Lee made the invention of World Wide Web (WWW) which formed the basis of modern internet. Ever since its invention, internet has become the part and parcel of human lives. Indeed, the modern world is otherwise referred to the internet era.
Today, the use of internet has reached its pinnacle. It is being used in the field of education, science, research and even in business. It has changed the face of marketing, mode of communication and the living style of people. Internet transformed many lives from good to bad and vice versa. It allows greater flexibility in working and it has eased the pressure of tiring works.
"The internet means there is nowhere and no one in the world you can't reach easily and cheaply,"Chris Edwards commented.
The era has changed the world of news and business. Indeed, it is difficult to name anything which has not been touched by the most popular comunication media - the internet. In this busy world people most of the people do not have time to actually sit and read the newspaper. Thanks to the interent, the newspaper and even the television channels reach out to the people via internet as a mode of sophisticated convenience to readers with latest news and updates.
Likewise, one can now sit at the comfort of home and do shopping. The fear of online shopping is dimming day by day. The scope of business through internet has far-reaching productivity with access to wider audience today. Banking and the education too blessed with the evolution of internet. In the field of education, the doors of opportunities are infinite today. The money transactions are just at your finger tips.Over the years the internet has certainly become a place of information and inventions which are more reliable, informative and updated.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- MH370 Update: Australians Unveil New Map To Find The Missing Plane
- Surge in UFO Sightings in Queensland Observed; Gold Coast 'Hot Spot' of UFO Encounters
- Court Grants Indian Man Divorce Over Wife’s Insatiable Sex Demands
- ISIS Threat: Australia Terror Alert Level at 'Medium' as Saudi King Warns of Attacks in Europe in a Month
- Jennifer Lawrence Nude Photos Leak Raises Doubts on Apple's iCloud; How to Secure Apple ID
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones