Australia: Hundreds Watch Man Drown on Surf Webcam
By Hannah Osborne | January 3, 2013 2:45 AM EST
The last moments of a swimmer who got into difficulties in the sea and drowned have been seen by hundreds of internet users on a live webcam.
The man was given CPR until paramedics arrived and took him to Tweed Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.
A spokesman for the Northern NSW local health district told AAP: "We can confirm a man who was pulled out of the water at Kirra beach died in hospital."
The man's death was viewed live by hundreds of people using the coastalwatch.com surf camera website.
Mandy and Andrew de Stefano were at the scene and called emergency services after seeing him floating in the sea.
Ms de Stefano told ABC News: "We turned him over and pulled him out and it was obvious he was in a bit of trouble. He was quite discoloured around the mouth and lifeless.
"We feel sorry for the family because his little kids were there and saw it."
She praised the efforts of the paramedics to revive him. "They did a real good job. They worked on him for a long time and they couldn't have done any more," she said.
Warren Young, Gold Coast chief lifeguard, said the man was very close to the shore when he was found. "He was 35 metres north of the flags, about three metres offshore. He was almost on the sand," he said.
Young said witnesses on the beach thought he was swimming but he was actually unconscious in the water.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Image Of An Alien Revealed By US Intelligence Agent Suggests Existence Of Extraterrestrial Life -- Report
- US Police Release Video Of Officers Shooting 12-Year-Old Tamir Rice
- US Toddler, 3, Shoots Mother To Death With 9mm Handgun
- NSW Girl, 12, Takes Wheel of Mazda MX5 & Saves Lives After Father Suffers Heart Attack
- Viral Video Celebrity Impressions: Comedian Lauren O'Brien Impersonates Famous Female Celebrities While Stuck In Traffic [WATCH VIDEO]
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments