Australia: Hundreds Watch Man Drown on Surf Webcam
By Hannah Osborne | January 3, 2013 2:45 AM EST
The last moments of a swimmer who got into difficulties in the sea and drowned have been seen by hundreds of internet users on a live webcam.
The man was given CPR until paramedics arrived and took him to Tweed Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.
A spokesman for the Northern NSW local health district told AAP: "We can confirm a man who was pulled out of the water at Kirra beach died in hospital."
The man's death was viewed live by hundreds of people using the coastalwatch.com surf camera website.
Mandy and Andrew de Stefano were at the scene and called emergency services after seeing him floating in the sea.
Ms de Stefano told ABC News: "We turned him over and pulled him out and it was obvious he was in a bit of trouble. He was quite discoloured around the mouth and lifeless.
"We feel sorry for the family because his little kids were there and saw it."
She praised the efforts of the paramedics to revive him. "They did a real good job. They worked on him for a long time and they couldn't have done any more," she said.
Warren Young, Gold Coast chief lifeguard, said the man was very close to the shore when he was found. "He was 35 metres north of the flags, about three metres offshore. He was almost on the sand," he said.
Young said witnesses on the beach thought he was swimming but he was actually unconscious in the water.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- Centerplate CEO Des Hague Caught Abusing Dog In Vancouver Building Elevator [VIDEO]
- Boyfriend's Welcome Home Tribute In Candles Destroys His House
- The Most Insane Facts About The American Civil War That You May Not Know
- Viral Video Kevin Droniak Grandma: Teenager Shows Grandma Their Videos Together, Grandma Gives Priceless Reaction
- Major Highlights On 1400 Minor’s Sex Assault
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- James Foley Torture Involves CIA Waterboarding Technique
- Ukraine Ceasefire Looks Remote As Putin Talks Tough At Meeting With Poroshenko