Australia: Hundreds Watch Man Drown on Surf Webcam
By Hannah Osborne | January 3, 2013 2:45 AM EST
The last moments of a swimmer who got into difficulties in the sea and drowned have been seen by hundreds of internet users on a live webcam.
The man was given CPR until paramedics arrived and took him to Tweed Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.
A spokesman for the Northern NSW local health district told AAP: "We can confirm a man who was pulled out of the water at Kirra beach died in hospital."
The man's death was viewed live by hundreds of people using the coastalwatch.com surf camera website.
Mandy and Andrew de Stefano were at the scene and called emergency services after seeing him floating in the sea.
Ms de Stefano told ABC News: "We turned him over and pulled him out and it was obvious he was in a bit of trouble. He was quite discoloured around the mouth and lifeless.
"We feel sorry for the family because his little kids were there and saw it."
She praised the efforts of the paramedics to revive him. "They did a real good job. They worked on him for a long time and they couldn't have done any more," she said.
Warren Young, Gold Coast chief lifeguard, said the man was very close to the shore when he was found. "He was 35 metres north of the flags, about three metres offshore. He was almost on the sand," he said.
Young said witnesses on the beach thought he was swimming but he was actually unconscious in the water.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Virus Might Reach Australia in Months; Health Dept Says Australia Prepared For Outbreak
- Woman, 40, Charged after Six Baby Corpses Found in Canada U-Haul Locker
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Seven Weird Things Banned by Governments
- Six English Words Which Originated From Arabic
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports