Global Stocks Surge After Fiscal Cliff Compromise Between Republicans, Democrats
January 3, 2013 2:01 AM EST
Global stock markets surged Wednesday in response to a compromise between Democrats and Republicans on averting spending cuts and taxe increases that could have plunged the world's No. 1 economy into recession.
Late Tuesday the U.S. House of Representatives voted to avert the fiscal cliff by supporting a Senate measure to hike income tax rates on only the wealthiest adults. The vote passed the House largely along party lines, 257 to 167. It is the first income tax rate increase in the United States in 20 years.
Hong Kong's Hang Seng jumped Wednesday nearly 3 percent, while Europe's three largest bourses, London's FTSE 100, Germany's DAX and France's CAC 40, all climbed more than 2 percent. The DAX hit a five-year high.
The risk-on sentiment also emerged in the bond market, where the yield on 10-year Treasury rose to 1.84 percent. Bond yields move int the opposite direction of bond prices.
Despite the positive response to Washington's resolution of the fiscal cliff, U.S. investors appeared more cautious. The Dow Jones Industrial Average, the S&P 500 and the Nasdaq Composite opened modestly higher before gaining momentum and posting gains by mid-morning of more than 2 percent.
Republicans and Democrats are expected to clash again in a month over getting the legal limit to the debt ceiling lifted. Further, the two parties must take up sequestration in March to prevent $110 billion scheduled spending cuts -- half from the Pentagon and half from non-defense programs.
The gains Wednesday in U.S. stocks extended gains on Monday (markets were closed Tuesday, New Year's Day) of 1.7 percent, the largest year-end pop since 1974, Bloomberg News said.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation