Global Stocks Surge After Fiscal Cliff Compromise Between Republicans, Democrats
January 3, 2013 2:01 AM EST
Global stock markets surged Wednesday in response to a compromise between Democrats and Republicans on averting spending cuts and taxe increases that could have plunged the world's No. 1 economy into recession.
Late Tuesday the U.S. House of Representatives voted to avert the fiscal cliff by supporting a Senate measure to hike income tax rates on only the wealthiest adults. The vote passed the House largely along party lines, 257 to 167. It is the first income tax rate increase in the United States in 20 years.
Hong Kong's Hang Seng jumped Wednesday nearly 3 percent, while Europe's three largest bourses, London's FTSE 100, Germany's DAX and France's CAC 40, all climbed more than 2 percent. The DAX hit a five-year high.
The risk-on sentiment also emerged in the bond market, where the yield on 10-year Treasury rose to 1.84 percent. Bond yields move int the opposite direction of bond prices.
Despite the positive response to Washington's resolution of the fiscal cliff, U.S. investors appeared more cautious. The Dow Jones Industrial Average, the S&P 500 and the Nasdaq Composite opened modestly higher before gaining momentum and posting gains by mid-morning of more than 2 percent.
Republicans and Democrats are expected to clash again in a month over getting the legal limit to the debt ceiling lifted. Further, the two parties must take up sequestration in March to prevent $110 billion scheduled spending cuts -- half from the Pentagon and half from non-defense programs.
The gains Wednesday in U.S. stocks extended gains on Monday (markets were closed Tuesday, New Year's Day) of 1.7 percent, the largest year-end pop since 1974, Bloomberg News said.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- NVIDIA Shield Gaming Tablet with Tegra K1 SoC Reported to be Released on July 29