'Gangnam Style' Is No More, At Least In America, Psy Says, After Performing Hit Single New Year's Eve
By Amethyst Tate | January 3, 2013 1:44 AM EST
Psy may be quitting the "Gangnam Style" dance for good, or at least in America.
The South Korean pop sensation performed in Times Square at New Year’s Rockin’ Eve, an MTV event hosted by reality stars Snooki and J Woww.
Before he helped ring in 2013, he told MTV News, “Being in Times Square on New Year’s Eve is already special — it’s the biggest stage in the universe — plus it’s my birthday, so, with all that, it may be the ending of ‘Gangnam Style.’
"I mean, what better way to do it? It’s my biggest and most meaningful birthday, “ Psy added.
The "Gangnam Style" video, since being uploaded in July, has over a billion views. "Gangnam Style" beat out "Baby" by Justin Bieber to take the No. 1 spot.
In November, Youtube Trend Manager Kevin Allocca wrote in a blog post, "Each day, 'Gangnam Style' is still being watched between 7 and 10 million times” and has “been a massive hit at a global level unlike anything we've ever seen before."
Psy’s "Gangnam Style" music video went viral after being posted on YouTube, with more than 130 million views from 220 countries around the world in less than two months, according to the Korean Herald.
In the U.S., the single broke into ITune's Chart Top 20, and Psy has performed the dance everywhere, from MTV's VMA Awards to the MTV Europe Music Awards.
Psy, whose real name is Jason Park, said he still has no idea how his song has taken the world by storm, in an interview with Ryan Seacrest. He has been singing in South Korea for 12 years and is a massive star there but calls himself a "rookie" when it comes to fame in America.
Although he plans to stop singing "Gangnam Style" in America, Psy said he still plans to take the hit song overseas.
“The song became too popular, and so you start to have some concern about its life period,” he told MTV News.
“I’m really working hard on a new single right now, and I’m not saying ['Gangnam'] is ending on ‘Dick Clark’ — I still have a lot of invitations to perform it … I’ll be in Paris, and in February I got invited to perform in China, and I’ve still got to do promo.
"So let me say that in America I need a new single because ‘Gangnam Style’ got too popular, so I’ve got to write a new single.”
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 24, 2014: Katie Spills Ridge's Secret Plan While Eric's Announcement Causes A Huge Furor [WATCH VIDEO]
- Brad Pitt Forced To Talk About Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston: Asked to Compare Wife Angelina Jolie With Rachel From 'Friends'
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Major Spoilers: Death Count, The Terminus Residents’ Fate Plus Father Gabriel's Past
- ‘Star Wars: Episode 7’ Jungle Stormtroopers On Rampage – Leaked Images [Spoilers]
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers From Oct. 27-31, 2014: As Halloween Draws Near, Forrester Creations Will Reel From Eric's Shocking Decision And The Rest Will Scramble To Make Their Plans Successful [WATCH VIDEO]
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS