'Gangnam Style' Is No More, At Least In America, Psy Says, After Performing Hit Single New Year's Eve
By Amethyst Tate | January 3, 2013 1:44 AM EST
Psy may be quitting the "Gangnam Style" dance for good, or at least in America.
The South Korean pop sensation performed in Times Square at New Year’s Rockin’ Eve, an MTV event hosted by reality stars Snooki and J Woww.
Before he helped ring in 2013, he told MTV News, “Being in Times Square on New Year’s Eve is already special — it’s the biggest stage in the universe — plus it’s my birthday, so, with all that, it may be the ending of ‘Gangnam Style.’
"I mean, what better way to do it? It’s my biggest and most meaningful birthday, “ Psy added.
The "Gangnam Style" video, since being uploaded in July, has over a billion views. "Gangnam Style" beat out "Baby" by Justin Bieber to take the No. 1 spot.
In November, Youtube Trend Manager Kevin Allocca wrote in a blog post, "Each day, 'Gangnam Style' is still being watched between 7 and 10 million times” and has “been a massive hit at a global level unlike anything we've ever seen before."
Psy’s "Gangnam Style" music video went viral after being posted on YouTube, with more than 130 million views from 220 countries around the world in less than two months, according to the Korean Herald.
In the U.S., the single broke into ITune's Chart Top 20, and Psy has performed the dance everywhere, from MTV's VMA Awards to the MTV Europe Music Awards.
Psy, whose real name is Jason Park, said he still has no idea how his song has taken the world by storm, in an interview with Ryan Seacrest. He has been singing in South Korea for 12 years and is a massive star there but calls himself a "rookie" when it comes to fame in America.
Although he plans to stop singing "Gangnam Style" in America, Psy said he still plans to take the hit song overseas.
“The song became too popular, and so you start to have some concern about its life period,” he told MTV News.
“I’m really working hard on a new single right now, and I’m not saying ['Gangnam'] is ending on ‘Dick Clark’ — I still have a lot of invitations to perform it … I’ll be in Paris, and in February I got invited to perform in China, and I’ve still got to do promo.
"So let me say that in America I need a new single because ‘Gangnam Style’ got too popular, so I’ve got to write a new single.”
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Jennifer Lawrence’s Nude Photos and Videos Leaked by 4Chan Hacker; Ariana Grande, Lea Michele, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Kate Upton’s Also Included
- Celebrities’ Leaked Nude Photos: Master-List Printed, Selena Gomez, Kim Kardashian, Kate Upton, Jennifer Lawrence, Kaley Cuoco, Rihanna, More Names On It
- Nude Photos Leaked: Mary Elizabeth Winstead Says Nude Photos Hers, Faces Backlash, Takes Twitter Break
- ‘The Leftovers’: Episode 10 On Hold, Renewed For Season 2, Season 1 Finale Synopsis And Preview [VIDEO]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans