Wall Street jumps at open on fiscal deal
January 3, 2013 1:42 AM EST
Stocks soared on the first day of trading in 2013 after lawmakers agreed a deal to avoid massive tax hikes and spending cuts that had threatened to hurt economic growth.
The Dow Jones industrial average <.DJI> surged 149.41 points, or 1.14 percent, at 13,253.55. The Standard & Poor's 500 Index <.SPX> was up 19.17 points, or 1.34 percent, at 1,445.36. The Nasdaq Composite Index <.IXIC> was up 74.47 points, or 2.47 percent, at 3,093.98.
Wednesday marked the best day for the Nasdaq since June 30.
(Reporting by Ryan Vlastelica; Editing by Bernadette Baum)
Join the Conversation
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- 16GB iPhone 6 for $99 at Sam’s Club is the Best 2014 Black Friday Deal Around
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510