Wall Street jumps at open on fiscal deal
January 3, 2013 1:42 AM EST
Stocks soared on the first day of trading in 2013 after lawmakers agreed a deal to avoid massive tax hikes and spending cuts that had threatened to hurt economic growth.
The Dow Jones industrial average <.DJI> surged 149.41 points, or 1.14 percent, at 13,253.55. The Standard & Poor's 500 Index <.SPX> was up 19.17 points, or 1.34 percent, at 1,445.36. The Nasdaq Composite Index <.IXIC> was up 74.47 points, or 2.47 percent, at 3,093.98.
Wednesday marked the best day for the Nasdaq since June 30.
(Reporting by Ryan Vlastelica; Editing by Bernadette Baum)
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage