Wall Street jumps at open on fiscal deal
January 3, 2013 1:42 AM EST
Stocks soared on the first day of trading in 2013 after lawmakers agreed a deal to avoid massive tax hikes and spending cuts that had threatened to hurt economic growth.
The Dow Jones industrial average <.DJI> surged 149.41 points, or 1.14 percent, at 13,253.55. The Standard & Poor's 500 Index <.SPX> was up 19.17 points, or 1.34 percent, at 1,445.36. The Nasdaq Composite Index <.IXIC> was up 74.47 points, or 2.47 percent, at 3,093.98.
Wednesday marked the best day for the Nasdaq since June 30.
(Reporting by Ryan Vlastelica; Editing by Bernadette Baum)
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton First Official Solo Trip: Details For Malta Tour Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- Apple on iPhone 6 Release Date One Week After September 9 Despite Display Shortage Starting $800
- James Foley Video Had A Change Of Actor – Expert Points Out
- Canada Concerned About Russia’s Military Expansion in Arctic
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Nokia X2 vs. Nokia Lumia 530 - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Why Moto X is Not the Best Smartphone to Purchase Now?