Mercedes-Benz India to Hike Prices by up to 3 Percent from Jan 14
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | January 2, 2013 10:54 PM EST
Luxury car maker Mercedes-Benz India on Wednesday announced a price hike of 1-3 percent for all models from Jan 14 onwards.
"We will increase prices of our vehicles to the tune of 1-3 per cent effective January 14," Mercedes-Benz India MD and CEO Eberhard Kern said in a statement as quoted by the Press trust of India.
The hike is due to the increase in production costs and the currency fluctuation. The company said the B-class car prices will go up 1 percent, while the C-class and E-class sedans will see a hike of 1.5 percent. The company's S-class will get a price hike of 3 percent. The company also added that it has sold 7,138 units of cars to dealers across the country.
"Our sales performance has been overall in line with expectations. At the same time, we have managed to retain our profitability and premium in the last calender year and 2013 would be an exciting year for us," Mr Kern said.
Mercedes-Benz is not the only auto major which is due for a hike in January. Earlier in December, India's largest car maker Maruti Suzuki announced a price hike for all car models by up to ₹5,250 in a bid to counter the impact of currency fluctuation and higher input costs.
"The average hike in the price across models is around 1 per cent and the range will be between ₹2,500 and ₹5,250," a company spokesperson said earlier.
Reportedly, other manufacturers are also gearing for a similar move. It was earlier said that the automobile companies like General Motors (GM) India, Toyota Kirloskar Motor, Volkswagen India, Audi India and BMW India are revising their car prices due to the increasing pressure on margins.
"We will increase product prices in January across all carlines ranging from one to three per cent depending upon models owing to currency fluctuation and hike in input costs," P. Balendran, Vice President, GM India had said.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- National Ice Cream Day: Most-Ordered Flavors and Toppings by Americans [See Photos]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Malaysian Airlines Flight 17: Air Carrier to Give $5,000 Assistance to Victims’ Families; Bankruptcy Looms as 2 Air Mishaps Would Cost Firm Minimum $80.55 M Compensation
- Foxconn And Pegatron Corp Readies For Apple's iPhone 6 Mass Production This Month
- Malaysian Airlines Ukraine Tragedy Hits Asian Stock Markets
- Parliament Passes Changes to Qantas Sale Act, Flag Carrier Will Remain Majority Australian Owned
- KFC & McDonald’s Accused of Serving ‘Expired’ Meat to Customers
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $499 Comes With 5.5-Inch Quad HD Display, Snapdragon 805 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People