Indian Shares Advance After US Approves Budget Bill; Nifty Breaches 6K level
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | January 2, 2013 8:47 PM EST
The 30-share BSE Sensex gained 0.73 percent or 142.30 points to 19,722.84 and the 50-share NSE Nifty breached the 6,000 mark for the first time in two years before coming back to 5,994.10 level.
Markets opened on a positive, tracking positive cues from Asian peers. Asian stock markets surged on Wednesday with Hong Kong's Hang Seng climbing to the highest level in 19 months after the U.S. fiscal cliff deal news sparked broad-based buying.
The U.S. House of Representatives voted in favor of the Senate-approved tax bill late Tuesday that will see a hike in income tax rates on only the wealthiest adults and stops the world's largest economy from falling back into a recession. The deal will allow tax hikes for individuals earning more than $400,000 and couples making more than $450,000, which is a surge of 39.5 percent from the current 35 percent rate.
Adding to the sentiment, a business survey on Wednesday showed that India's manufacturing sector growth improved further in December backed by strong export orders.
The HSBC Markit India Manufacturing PMI, a composite indicator that gauges the factory output and operating conditions in the manufacturing sector, rose to 54.7 in December, the highest level since January 2012, from 53.7 in November.
All the sectoral indices were trading with gains except IT and FMCG. Consumer durables and capital goods sectors surged 1.69 percent and 1.40 percent respectively while FMCG sector declined 0.32 percent.
Banking sector shares continue to gain on hopes that the sector would benefit from an anticipated fall in interest rates. IndusInd Bank surged 2.50 percent, Yes Bank advanced 2.07 percent and PNB rose 1.92 percent.
The overall market breadth was positive with 1777 advanced against 140 declines. The BSE's Midcap Index gained 0.58 percent to 7,239.36 and Smallcap Index advanced 0.85 percent to 7,515.88. CNX midcap Index gained 0.33 percent and CNX IT declined 0.20 percent.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Australian Stock Market Report – Midday July 23, 2014
- Major European & U.S. Airlines Cancel Flights to Israel after Rocket Attack on Tel Aviv Airport
- Alibaba Okays Yahoo Request to Sell 140 Million Shares Via IPO, 68 Million to Be Sold to Shareholders
- Australian Stock Market Report – Midday July 24, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report – Afternoon July 23, 2014
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown