BHEL Shares up 3 pct as Duty Imposed on Chinese Insulators
January 2, 2013 8:38 PM EST
Shares of Bharat Heavy Electricals (BHEL) were up 3 percent on Wednesday after the government imposed a 35 percent safeguard duty on electrical insulators imported from China, in a bid to protect domestic manufacturers from cheaper shipments.
State-run BHEL, India's biggest power equipment maker, and other companies had complained that Chinese producers were resorting to predatory pricing to capture the market.
The customs and excise department of the finance ministry imposed the duty on Chinese imports for one year, to be lowered to 25 percent the year after that, according to a finance ministry notification dated December 20.
The notification was posted on the customs department website earlier, but was not widely reported by media until Tuesday.
"The duty has been imposed to protect domestic producers, and would be applicable on imported electrical insulators of ceramics or porcelain as well," a senior finance ministry official told Reuters.
He said imports of electric insulators mainly used by power transmission companies had gone up to 35,000 metric tonnes in the 2010/11 fiscal year, and said predatory pricing by Chinese producers was hurting domestic firms.
Officials estimate that imports from China have captured over 40 percent of domestic demand, and now contribute to around 90 percent of total imports.
The new tax will not be applicable on insulators used by the telecom companies or retail consumers, and excludes imports from other countries, the official said.
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- iPhone 6 Release Down Under – Meet The First People To Have The Newest iPhones
- Masayoshi Son Is Japan’s Richest Man As Softbank Shares Surge Ahead Of Alibaba IPO; More Millionaires Among Alibaba Employees On The Way
- Ex-Male Strippers For Rent At $125/Hour To Act As ManServants
- Alibaba Hikes IPO Price Range To $66-$68 From $60-$66
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design