Major iOS Jailbreak App Store Shutters
By Vittorio Hernandez | January 2, 2013 2:50 PM EST
Jailbreaking an iPhone is about having maximum control over the device. This includes tweaking a lot of things in iPhone which otherwise the original iOS prevents. Another benefit is the ability to download free apps for iPhone instead of purchasing it from Apple Store.
However, one of the major sources of pirated apps for iOS devices is gone. Hackulous, which developed Installous, has finally shut down after years in service.
The main reason why the developer stopped its operation is their stagnant for a, reports said. The devotion of their staff was not enough to keep the community online and well-moderated. The developer is still thankful for the support of their fans and members in several years of activity.
This is a bad news for Jailbroken users who use the Installous app and may have to find other similar download apps for their iOS devices.
Installous is an installation package for jailbroken iPhone, iPad, and iPods that lets the user to install unofficial Apple applications. The app also allows users to preview any Apple apps before the purchase.
Installous also allows the users to search for apps on Cydia and other app databases, and once the app is found, it can be downloaded to any iOS device.
The downloaded app automatically extracts itself and places the contents to the appropriate directories in iOS device. Users can also remove apps, undo specific changes and update their currently installed apps with the latest software version. It works similarly with Windows Installer except it was designed for Apple devices.
Hackulous included a short song on its Web site titled Goodnight, Sweet Prince to mark the closure of Installous.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Matmo Leaves 32k Customers w/o Electricity in Taiwan, Weakens After Landing in China
Join the Conversation
- Malaysian Airlines Flight 17: Air Carrier Losing $1.6 Million/Day; Crisis Management Experts Suggest Hiring Risk Expert as CEO
- Biggest Australian IPO in 4 Years as Healthscope Could Raises $2.12 Billion
- CBA, NAB, Westpac in Fixed Rate War Offering Below 5% Interest
- MH17: ‘Trademark Trolls’ Make Profit Out of the Tragedy
- Radio Australia Cuts to Affect Isolated Vanuatu Residents Who Rely on It for Weather Bulletins
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- HTC One E8 (Plastic Variant of HTC One M8) with 5-Inch Display, Dual-SIM, 801 Processor and 2 GB RAM to Hit New Markets Soon
- iPhone 6 Release Date in September 26 with Price Details and More Killer Features
- Apple iPad Mini Air: Three Fresh Features on the Smart Tablet to Wait for
- 4.7-Inch iPhone 6 Release Date is Sept 26 after iOS 8 GM Public Debut on Sept 17 – Reports