Zynga (Nasdaq:ZNGA) Shuts Down Petville, Mafia Wars 2
By Christine Gaylican | January 2, 2013 12:20 PM EST
Passive Facebook gamers like this writer had been in and out of virtual farms, cafes, mafia fiefdoms, and embellished two pets with fabulous lifestyles to be envied.
Sustaining the interest of such passive gamers, who only tries to pass the time and all of a sudden be muddled in some other work load and day-to-day existence, is the source of a major concern for online game creator Zynga (Nasdaq:ZNGA).
Struggling to prop up its finances since its IPO, Zynga closed down ineffective games that does not help re-coup losses and could even save in terms of domain allocation and production.
In spite its reported 1 million active users world-wide, Zynga closed down on Sunday Petville, which has been rivalling another product Pet Society. Pet Society, on the other hand, has similar mechanics as having a virtual pet but has about 5.6 million users globally.
Zynga also shut down Mafia Wars 2 with only 200,000 monthly users, which is not as successful as its predecessor Mafia Wars, but its popularity is also fading rapidly.
Other game apps on Facebook that has been closed down in December and November include Forestville, Fishville, Indiana Jones Adventure World, Mafia Wars Shakedown, Montopia, Mojitomo, Vampire Wars, Treasure Isle and the World Scramble Challenge.
Gaming analysts said aside from the quandary as to how to sustain visits from online passive gamers and users of Facebook, Zynga has sustained some financial blows when its exclusivity agreement with Facebook has been abolished in October. Although it can now sell its games to other social media outlets, this has not been turned into profits for the company.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tesco Facing Crisis After Chairman Quits Citing Accounting Scandal In The Retail Giant
- Australian Federal Court Fines Reebok $350,000 & Orders Refunds For Shoe Endorsed By Miranda Kerr That Claims Unproven Health Benefits
- Sydney Software Firm Bigcommerce Teams Up With Alibaba To Beat Amazon
- Perth Call Centre Staff Bad In English And Not Philippine And Indian Counterparts, Telstra Boss Says
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related