Oregon Bus Crash Kills 9, Injures 20 Amid Icy Conditions
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | December 31, 2012 2:50 PM EST
A charter bus crash left nine people dead and at least 20 other people injured Sunday after a coach heading from Las Vegas to Vancouver, British Columbia, drove through a guardrail and off a highway in northeastern Oregon before careening down a 200-foot embankment.
The bus, carrying about 40 passengers, "lost control on the snow/ice-covered westbound lanes of Interstate 84" near Pendleton, Oregon State Police said, according to Reuters.
A state police representative, Lt. Gregg Hastings, said nine people were killed in the crash, Reuters reported.
"We'll have to move through our investigation throughout the day to try to determine what exactly were the contributing factors," Hastings said, according to ABC News.
"We are continuing to try and confirm the total number of passengers and number of injured persons transported to area hospital or secondary locations due to severity of injuries." the state police said in a statement cited by Reuters.
ABC's Portland affiliate KATU-TV reported that the Pendleton Fire Department said that 39 people were taken to hospitals.
The driver of the bus lived through the crash, but was injured badly enough in the incident that he could not yet be interviewed by authorities, Reuters reported.
The accident took place in the Blue Mountains, about 10 miles of east of Pendleton and 200 miles east of Portland, ABC News reported.
The names of the passengers who were killed or injured in the crash will not be made public until next-of-kin notifications are made, police told Reuters.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- The Burka Avenger Educates Children While Fighting For Girls' Education Rights In New Pakistan TV Show
- Christopher Walken To Play Mob Boss In Film Adaptation Of Four Seasons Musical 'Jersey Boys'
- William Cantrell Mistakes Human Ashes For Cocaine, May Have Snorted Remains
- Giant Alligator Eats 80-Pound Dog In North Carolina, Gator May Still Be Alive
- Steve McQueen's Last Ride, 1952 Custom Chevy Pickup Truck, Hits The Auction Block
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles