Hillary Clinton Hospitalized After Doctors Find Blood Clot
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | December 31, 2012 1:14 PM EST
Secretary of State Hilary Rodham Clinton was hospitalized in New York on Sunday after doctors discovered that a blood clot had formed, the U.S. State Department said in a statement.
The clot, which was found during a follow-up exam, is believed to be linked to the concussion she suffered earlier this month, which took her away from her State Department duties for several days, according to a statement by State Department Spokesman Philippe Reines, the Associated Press reported.
Clinton will be treated with anti-coagulants at New York-Presbyterian Hospital, where she will be monitored for 48 hours, according to the AP.
“Her doctors will continue to assess her condition, including other issues associated with her concussion," Reines wrote in the statement, according to NBC News. "They will determine if any further action is required.”
The Washington Post reported that Reines declined to provide further comment beyond that which was included in the statement.
Sources told the Post that the diagnosis of Clinton’s concussion was made on Dec. 13, and she has yet to make her first public appearance since then, stoking fears among some politicos that she is not as healthy as she long appeared to be during her term at State. President Barack Obama has nominated U.S. Sen. John Kerry, a Massachusetts Democrat, to replace Clinton at the helm of the State Department after she officially steps down from the office.
Clinton -- who became the all-time most-traveled Secretary of State by visiting 112 different countries during her tenure at the State Department -- fainted and sustained a concussion earlier this month after becoming dehydrated from a stomach virus that led her to cancel a trip to Africa and the Persian Gulf, CBS News reported.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Iran Leader Asks Muslims to Supply Arms to Palestine, Calls Israel ‘Rapacious Wolf’
- El Niño Update: 2014 Threat Easing, ‘Unlikely to be a Strong Event’ – Australia BoM
- Australia Asked National Media to Suppress Multi-National Corruption Case: WikiLeaks
- “Women should not laugh in public” - Turkish Deputy PM says
- Opinion Poll in New Zealand Shows National Party Far Ahead in Popular Support
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date