Hillary Clinton Hospitalized After Doctors Find Blood Clot
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | December 31, 2012 1:14 PM EST
Secretary of State Hilary Rodham Clinton was hospitalized in New York on Sunday after doctors discovered that a blood clot had formed, the U.S. State Department said in a statement.
The clot, which was found during a follow-up exam, is believed to be linked to the concussion she suffered earlier this month, which took her away from her State Department duties for several days, according to a statement by State Department Spokesman Philippe Reines, the Associated Press reported.
Clinton will be treated with anti-coagulants at New York-Presbyterian Hospital, where she will be monitored for 48 hours, according to the AP.
“Her doctors will continue to assess her condition, including other issues associated with her concussion," Reines wrote in the statement, according to NBC News. "They will determine if any further action is required.”
The Washington Post reported that Reines declined to provide further comment beyond that which was included in the statement.
Sources told the Post that the diagnosis of Clinton’s concussion was made on Dec. 13, and she has yet to make her first public appearance since then, stoking fears among some politicos that she is not as healthy as she long appeared to be during her term at State. President Barack Obama has nominated U.S. Sen. John Kerry, a Massachusetts Democrat, to replace Clinton at the helm of the State Department after she officially steps down from the office.
Clinton -- who became the all-time most-traveled Secretary of State by visiting 112 different countries during her tenure at the State Department -- fainted and sustained a concussion earlier this month after becoming dehydrated from a stomach virus that led her to cancel a trip to Africa and the Persian Gulf, CBS News reported.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- Teachers’ Strike in BC, Canada Stalls 1st Day of School; Labour Dispute Could Last Even After Labour Day
- Australia Races Against Potential Genocide In Iraq
- Ukraine Crisis: Putin Dangles Nuclear War Threat, US Senators Advise Sending Defensive Weapons
- ISIS Will Target the U.S. Power Grid, Former CIA Says; Could Tap Other Fellow Extremist Groups to Do the Job
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying