Nexus 4 Remains Unavailable; App Checker for the Google Smartphone Appears on Play Store
By Erik Pineda | December 31, 2012 11:32 AM EST
Google's Nexus 4 remains out of reach but fans of the popular but hard to get smartphone have devised ways to make the waiting a bit easier. If you are one of the many wanting to own the LG-manufactured handset, head out to Google Play store now.
Two Nexus 4-centric apps, the Nexus Availability Checker and the Nexus Checker, were recently released on Android marketplace to specifically aid Nexus 4 hunters in their quest to secure the elusive signature smartphone from Google.
According to Phones Review, the two free apps deliver notification to users' smartphone the moment any of the Nexus device models become available. The two gadget checkers are ready for download anywhere in the world, which means their usability is not limited to certain countries as per the reports by some blog sites.
To date, users have left relatively high ratings for the two apps, indicating that they are performing within expectations. These checkers apparently are taking on the job botched by Google so far - delivering timely alerts for Android fans wanting to lay their hands on the Nexus gadgets that became instant global hits.
While the Nexus 4, the Nexus 7 and the Nexus 10 generally won plaudits for their powerful functions that are easy on the pocket, Google received flak for manner it handled the products' supply movement.
Since the devices' debut, stock outs have encountered excited buyers, who at times were reduced to paying more money for the gadgets that Google had intended to be dirt-cheap when possible.
Blog reports returned no joy for frustrated Nexus fans as of last week, with Google Play store showing no sign that its stock has been replenished.
The only noticeable change was reported by Phone Arena, saying that as of Dec 27 users who previously ordered the Nexus 4 have received altered order status on their credit card accounts. Many have reported of 'pending charge' status for the Nexus 4 that they ordered some weeks before the holiday season.
The notifications appear to be applicable on 8GB and 16GB models that were pre-ordered before Christmas. Sadly though, Nexus 4 for these buyers will only start arriving way after the global celebration for New Year has already died down.
In an earlier statement, Google has admitted that its Nexus 4 supply chain is erratic, hinting too that the phone's scarce availability was partly a fault by LG.
The tech giant, however, has issued assurances that the problem will be totally resolved in the early days of 2013, insisting that Nexus 4 will finally reach the hands of many who have been waiting too long to try out the smartphone.
In terms of consumer reaction, the Google smartphone rivalled that of the popularity generated by its more illustrious competitions - Apple's iPhone 5 and Samsung's Galaxy S3, tech experts noted.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tesco Facing Crisis After Chairman Quits Citing Accounting Scandal In The Retail Giant
- Australian Federal Court Fines Reebok $350,000 & Orders Refunds For Shoe Endorsed By Miranda Kerr That Claims Unproven Health Benefits
- Sydney Software Firm Bigcommerce Teams Up With Alibaba To Beat Amazon
- Perth Call Centre Staff Bad In English And Not Philippine And Indian Counterparts, Telstra Boss Says
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28