Top 5 Places to Celebrate New Year’s Eve in Australia (VIDEOS)
By Vittorio Hernandez | December 31, 2012 10:49 AM EST
Being hours ahead of everybody else, except New Zealanders who are spending the turn of the year to 2013 two hours earlier, Australians are one of the first in the world to celebrate the new year.
Unlike Europe and North America which always freeze during the yearend holidays, being down under makes it summer during Christmas and New Year in Australia.
Here are at least five places that party-loving Australians may want to visit for the New Year's Eve revelry.
1. Melbourne has several places to celebrate the turnover of 2012 to 2013. In a bid to move away from the central business district, city authorities have split the city into three party zones.
Stages are set at Docklands, Treasury Garden and Flagstaff Gardens for New Year's Eve revelers, complete with 4-metre-high DJ towers, large multimedia screens and fireworks.
The main fireworks display will be at Yarra Park, which will start at 9:30 p.m. About half a million people are expected to watch the fireworks. The city estimates cost of the New Year's Eve party, including a 10-minute musical track made by Melbourne musicians, at $2.8 million.
Here's a peek at Yarra Park's 2011 New Year revelry:
The fireworks alone this year costs $330,000 and is set off from across 22 sites widely visible to residents with a view of the city skyline.
The new format aims to spread the expected crowd and help emergency crew and officials deal with unexpected incidents such as accidents and injuries such as accidental burning like what happened in 2011 to the Arts Centre spire.
"It is a very big party and it takes a lot of organisation. The number one message we have is we want people to enjoy themselves, but enjoy themselves safely. People need to understand that you need to be a little bit patient and you certainly need to be respectful of other people having a good time as well as yourself," The Age quoted Melbourne Mayor Robert Doyle.
To help the revelers move around, public transportation will be free from 6 p.m. on Monday until the first service on Tuesday morning. The city will deploy extra trains, trams and NightRider buses to help the residents reach home, but the City Loop will be closed just before midnight.
Other points of celebration in Melbourne are:
l Free concert at Federation Square topbilled by the Chunky Jam band at 8 p.m.
l Timeless Classics concert at Hamer Hall, featuring the Australian Philharmonic Orchestra, at 2 and 8 p.m.
l Dinner dance to help raise funds for the Cerebral Palsy Education Centre at the Kew Sports Clubs, organised by the Vermont South and Box Hill Lions Club, at 7:30 p.m.
l Dinner and show by Normie Row at The Twisted Vine in Silvan
l Party at St Stephen's Anglican Church at the church hall at the corner of Warruga Ave. and Phyllis Road, from 7 p.m.
l Racing at Hanging Rock, Macedon Ranges, gates open at 10 a.m.
2. Harbour Bridge in Sydney, but what exactly will happen remains a secret among the construction crew and Telstra which is in charge. It will hopefully match last year's grand pyrotechnic show seen in the following video:
3. Parramatta River foreshore, featuring family-friendly entertainment such as live music, roaming street performers, rides, various delicious food, jet ski performance and fireworks display.
Parramatta Mayor John Chedid assured the celebrations are alcohol-free and he encouraged residents to bring their picnic baskets. Here's a video clip of last year's fireworks display which should be a preview of what will happen Monday night.
4. Party with Hollywood stars at The Star casino's Marquee Nightclub. Reports said those in Australia for the partyare Leonardo DiCaprio, Jamie Foxx, Jonah Hill, Chace Crawford of Gossip Girl, Mathew Morrison of Glee and Arrow actor Colton Haynes.
5. Crown Perth Casino for Carnivale New Year's Eve 2012, featuring a Rio-inspired atmosphere complete with samba dancers, drummers, stilt walkers, fire performers and bands. For the younger partygoers, the place to try is the Perth Flying Squadron Yacht Club in Dalheith for a garden party-themed celebration with cocktails, bubbles and Coronas by the river. Ticket at $249.50 and entertainers are The Cuban Brothers, DF Russ Dewbetty and Stillwater Giants. At the South of Perth Yacht Club in Applecross, the $255 ticket offers Coronas, cider, sangria, fancy cocktails, paella, sushi, oysters and gourmet burgers.
No doubt, there will still be countless New Year's Eve parties in other Australian cities and well as private residences to celebrate the change of the year to 2013 from 2012.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
Join the Conversation
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon
- Travel Alert: Frequent Flyer Tie-Up Between Virgin Australia, South African Airways Enhanced
- 'The Hunger Games Mockingjay – Part 1' Banned, Protesters Use Three-fingered Salute In Real Life
- Travel Alert: Malaysia’s AirAsia Cuts Number Of Australian Flights
- Air Canada Expands Vancouver Boeing 787 Dreamliners To Beijing, Seoul, Shanghai, Tokyo-Narita Routes
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices