Tunisian Man Dhaou Fatnassi Dies Eating 28 Raw Eggs for a Bet
By Toyin Owoseje | December 29, 2012 1:00 AM EST
A young Tunisian man has reportedly died after eating 28 raw eggs for a bet with a friend.
Dhaou Fatnassi, 20, from Kairouan in northeast Tunisia, is said to have collapsed with severe stomach pains after swallowing 28 of the 30 eggs he was challenged to eat for the wager.
According to local reports, he was rushed to hospital but was pronounced dead on arrival.
"Doctors were called in after the young man felt strong stomach pains but he died on the way," a source told local radio station Shems FM.
The cause of death has not yet been established.
Although bodybuilders and fitness fans are known to add raw eggs to drinks for added protein, eating them raw poses risks of contracting salmonella, a bacterium that can cause food poisoning.
Food experts say the only way to reduce the risk of potential food poisoning is to cook them properly.
The death comes a few months after another bizarre food dare ended in tragedy when Edward Archbold died during a cockroach-eating contest in Florida.
The 32-year-old collapsed minutes after ingesting dozens of live bugs at the Ben Siegel Reptile Store in Deerfield Beach.
A post mortem report said Archbold died from "asphyxia due to choking" as his airway was blocked by cockroach body parts.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Sugar Is The Major Cause Of Obesity: Top 5 Ways To Reduce Your Sugar Intake
- 'Keeping Up With The Kardashians' Star Kourtney Kardashian Blamed For Khloe's Weight Gain Through Social Media Messages
- Peter Quillin Claims That Adriana Lima Will Beat Gisele In The Boxing Ring; Adriana's Weight Loss Through Boxing and A Paleo Diet
- Ebola Survivors' Blood Sold in Black Market, WHO Warns Buyers of Risks Including Death
- Caution to Diabetics: Artificial Sweeteners May Increase Blood Sugar Levels Based on Study
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best