Tunisian Man Dhaou Fatnassi Dies Eating 28 Raw Eggs for a Bet
By Toyin Owoseje | December 29, 2012 1:00 AM EST
A young Tunisian man has reportedly died after eating 28 raw eggs for a bet with a friend.
Dhaou Fatnassi, 20, from Kairouan in northeast Tunisia, is said to have collapsed with severe stomach pains after swallowing 28 of the 30 eggs he was challenged to eat for the wager.
According to local reports, he was rushed to hospital but was pronounced dead on arrival.
"Doctors were called in after the young man felt strong stomach pains but he died on the way," a source told local radio station Shems FM.
The cause of death has not yet been established.
Although bodybuilders and fitness fans are known to add raw eggs to drinks for added protein, eating them raw poses risks of contracting salmonella, a bacterium that can cause food poisoning.
Food experts say the only way to reduce the risk of potential food poisoning is to cook them properly.
The death comes a few months after another bizarre food dare ended in tragedy when Edward Archbold died during a cockroach-eating contest in Florida.
The 32-year-old collapsed minutes after ingesting dozens of live bugs at the Ben Siegel Reptile Store in Deerfield Beach.
A post mortem report said Archbold died from "asphyxia due to choking" as his airway was blocked by cockroach body parts.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Melanoma Could Be Caused By Ageing Genes; Best Diet For Anti-Ageing; Celebrities Who Have Aged Gracefully
Join the Conversation
- Kendall Jenner's Secret To A Slim and Sexy Body: All About Her Diet And Fitness Routine [Watch Video]
- Sleep Deprivation Among Teens Is The Main Cause of Low Academic Performance, Bad Behaviour And Lethargy, Finds Study
- Walking Is Superfood For Fitness; Celebrities Who Walk For Health
- Pilgrimage To Mecca: The Latest Health and Travel Advice For Muslim Hajj And Umrah With Regard To MERS-CoV
- Bill Gates Believes Ebola Could Spread Outside West Africa, Warns Countries Should Strengthen Healthcare
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate