Tunisian Man Dhaou Fatnassi Dies Eating 28 Raw Eggs for a Bet
By Toyin Owoseje | December 29, 2012 1:00 AM EST
A young Tunisian man has reportedly died after eating 28 raw eggs for a bet with a friend.
Dhaou Fatnassi, 20, from Kairouan in northeast Tunisia, is said to have collapsed with severe stomach pains after swallowing 28 of the 30 eggs he was challenged to eat for the wager.
According to local reports, he was rushed to hospital but was pronounced dead on arrival.
"Doctors were called in after the young man felt strong stomach pains but he died on the way," a source told local radio station Shems FM.
The cause of death has not yet been established.
Although bodybuilders and fitness fans are known to add raw eggs to drinks for added protein, eating them raw poses risks of contracting salmonella, a bacterium that can cause food poisoning.
Food experts say the only way to reduce the risk of potential food poisoning is to cook them properly.
The death comes a few months after another bizarre food dare ended in tragedy when Edward Archbold died during a cockroach-eating contest in Florida.
The 32-year-old collapsed minutes after ingesting dozens of live bugs at the Ben Siegel Reptile Store in Deerfield Beach.
A post mortem report said Archbold died from "asphyxia due to choking" as his airway was blocked by cockroach body parts.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Spreads Through Red Cross Vaccine - Ghana Nurse ‘Testifies’; The Truth About Red Cross
- Ebola News Regarding Wortham's Kindergarterners Infected is False, Angry Reactions
- Ebola Outbreak Blamed on Infected Bushmeat; First Family to Catch Virus Hunted Bats
- Ebola Is Changing The Religious Landscape In West Africa
- Ebola Outbreak To Continue Until Effective Vaccine Surfaces; 120,000 Women To Die of Childbirth
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu