Taiwan to Start Exploring for Oil, Gas in South China Sea in 2013
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | December 28, 2012 2:40 PM EST
Taiwan, one of the countries laying territorial claims over the islands of the South China Sea, has laid down plans to start exploring for oil and natural gas resources in the waters around Taiping Island in 2013.
"The exploration project is expected to officially kick off in January 2013," he said during a legislative session in Taipei," local media reports quoted Jerry Ou, director-general of the Energy Bureau under Taiwan's Ministry of Economic Affairs (MOEA), as saying.
Taiwan, which imports 98 per cent its energy requirements, said the exploration project is a government priority that will run for one year. Some NT$17 million has been allocated for the exploration project.
Taiping Island is considered the largest island in the highly contested Spratly Islands chain. At present, the 0.49-square-kilometer island, which lies about 1,600 kilometers southwest of Kaohsiung in Southern Taiwan, is being guarded by more than 100 Taiwanese Coast Guard personnel.
The Taiwan-controlled island, home to one of the only two airstrips in the area that can accommodate large aircraft, likewise has abundant fisheries and ample supply of fresh water. It is situated 800km from the Scarborough Shoal, less than 600km from Vietnam's coast and 500km from the Philippines island of Palawan.
Apart from Taiwan, others laying territorial claims on theSpratly archipelago include Malaysia, Mainland China, Vietnam, Brunei and the Philippines.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Russian Govt Found Tinkering Wikipedia Crash Info
- New Zealand and China Decide to Boost Defence Ties
- Scientists Warn MERS Virus Could be Spread Airborne
- British PM Cameron Urges Tough Sanctions Against Russia
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- Apple Logo on iPhone 6 Might Double as Notification LED; Roughly 80M iPhone 6 Units Ordered Targeting Release Date—Reports
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June