Nelson Mandela Home after Leaving Hospital in South Africa
By Umberto Bacchi | December 27, 2012 9:03 PM EST
Mandela, 94, was receiving treatment in a Pretoria hospital for a lung infection and gallstones.
"He is sufficiently well to be home," government spokesman Mac Maharaj told a local television eNCA.
On Christmas Day, the Nobel Peace Prize laureate received current president Jacob Zuma, who said Mandela was in good spirits.
"He was happy to have visitors on this special day and is looking much better. The doctors are happy with the progress he is making," said Zuma.
Mandela entered hospital earlier in December for routine tests.
He remained in hospital for 18 days after gallstones were found and removed by surgery. It was Mandela's longest time in hospital since he regained freedom from the apartheid government in 1990.
The anti-apartheid leader had been suffering from lung troubles since he contracted tuberculosis in the 1980s while in detention on Robben Island prison as a political prisoner.
In January 2011, Mandela was admitted to a Johannesburg hospital for what officials initially described as tests but which turned out to be an acute respiratory infection.
After spending 27 years in prison, Mandela served as South African president from 1994-99.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Prince George Birthday: Adorable New Pictures of George Touching a Butterfly on William's Hand Released [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Meeks Death Hoax: Handsome Felon's Fake Death after Release from Jail Goes Viral
- Happy Birthday Prince George: 5 Things to Know About Kate Middleton and Prince William’s Son
- Prince George’s Birthday Celebrations: Prince Charles and Duchess Camilla to Remain Absent from Grandson's First Birthday Party Plus Other Details- Report
- Tony Abbott Launches #BringThemHome Operation for MH17 Victims; Black Avatars Trending on Social Media
- Wildfires in Canada & U.S. ‘Still Active’
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- NVIDIA Shield Gaming Tablet with Tegra K1 SoC Reported to be Released on July 29
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time