Nelson Mandela Home after Leaving Hospital in South Africa
By Umberto Bacchi | December 27, 2012 9:03 PM EST
Mandela, 94, was receiving treatment in a Pretoria hospital for a lung infection and gallstones.
"He is sufficiently well to be home," government spokesman Mac Maharaj told a local television eNCA.
On Christmas Day, the Nobel Peace Prize laureate received current president Jacob Zuma, who said Mandela was in good spirits.
"He was happy to have visitors on this special day and is looking much better. The doctors are happy with the progress he is making," said Zuma.
Mandela entered hospital earlier in December for routine tests.
He remained in hospital for 18 days after gallstones were found and removed by surgery. It was Mandela's longest time in hospital since he regained freedom from the apartheid government in 1990.
The anti-apartheid leader had been suffering from lung troubles since he contracted tuberculosis in the 1980s while in detention on Robben Island prison as a political prisoner.
In January 2011, Mandela was admitted to a Johannesburg hospital for what officials initially described as tests but which turned out to be an acute respiratory infection.
After spending 27 years in prison, Mandela served as South African president from 1994-99.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy:Camilla And Princess Eugenie Reportedly Jealous, Claimed Duchess Only Good At Making Babies
- Prince Harry Reunites With Cressida Bonas On ‘Sex Tape’ Date Amid Dating Camilla Thurlow Reports
- Modern Forensic Science Reveals Evidence Of Brutal Killing Of King Richard III
- Avril Lavigne And Husband Chad Kroeger Call It Quits
- Racist Note Stereotyping Asian Drivers Left on Parked Car in NSW Sparks Online Outrage
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best