Nelson Mandela Home after Leaving Hospital in South Africa
By Umberto Bacchi | December 27, 2012 9:03 PM EST
Mandela, 94, was receiving treatment in a Pretoria hospital for a lung infection and gallstones.
"He is sufficiently well to be home," government spokesman Mac Maharaj told a local television eNCA.
On Christmas Day, the Nobel Peace Prize laureate received current president Jacob Zuma, who said Mandela was in good spirits.
"He was happy to have visitors on this special day and is looking much better. The doctors are happy with the progress he is making," said Zuma.
Mandela entered hospital earlier in December for routine tests.
He remained in hospital for 18 days after gallstones were found and removed by surgery. It was Mandela's longest time in hospital since he regained freedom from the apartheid government in 1990.
The anti-apartheid leader had been suffering from lung troubles since he contracted tuberculosis in the 1980s while in detention on Robben Island prison as a political prisoner.
In January 2011, Mandela was admitted to a Johannesburg hospital for what officials initially described as tests but which turned out to be an acute respiratory infection.
After spending 27 years in prison, Mandela served as South African president from 1994-99.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- UFO Falling 'Angel Hair' Strands Spotted By Portugal Residents [VIDEO]
- Pregnant Kate Middleton Has 'Uncanny Ability,' Described As 'Posh' During Public Appearances
- Kim Dotcom Thinks He Will Go To Jail in New Zealand; Admits Before Bail Hearing He is 'Broke'
- Pope Francis Not Closing Doors For Talks With ISIS Despite Death Threat
- Why Michael Brown's Killer, Darren Wilson, Lurks In Shadows, 'Fears For His Life' And Hints That He Will Leave Police Force
- Revealed: Vladimir Putin Plotting To Invade Europe – Report
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- Australian and Other Select Earth Locations Hold Proofs Life Once Existed On Mars – Report
- Samsung Galaxy S6 Will Shatter Records with 64-Bit Snapdragon, 21MP Camera and Bendable Design
- Lowe's Black Friday 2014 Deals Include Up To 40% Off On Select Major Appliances, Plus Free Shipping For Orders Of $19 Or More
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Best Buy,Target And Amazon Offer Huge Discounts On Tablets Like iPad Air 2, Shield Tablet, Surface Pro 3 And More