Nelson Mandela Home after Leaving Hospital in South Africa
By Umberto Bacchi | December 27, 2012 9:03 PM EST
Mandela, 94, was receiving treatment in a Pretoria hospital for a lung infection and gallstones.
"He is sufficiently well to be home," government spokesman Mac Maharaj told a local television eNCA.
On Christmas Day, the Nobel Peace Prize laureate received current president Jacob Zuma, who said Mandela was in good spirits.
"He was happy to have visitors on this special day and is looking much better. The doctors are happy with the progress he is making," said Zuma.
Mandela entered hospital earlier in December for routine tests.
He remained in hospital for 18 days after gallstones were found and removed by surgery. It was Mandela's longest time in hospital since he regained freedom from the apartheid government in 1990.
The anti-apartheid leader had been suffering from lung troubles since he contracted tuberculosis in the 1980s while in detention on Robben Island prison as a political prisoner.
In January 2011, Mandela was admitted to a Johannesburg hospital for what officials initially described as tests but which turned out to be an acute respiratory infection.
After spending 27 years in prison, Mandela served as South African president from 1994-99.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- MH370 Update: Australians Unveil New Map To Find The Missing Plane
- Court Grants Indian Man Divorce Over Wife’s Insatiable Sex Demands
- Ebola Virus 'Rapidly Mutating' as Research Finds Almost 400 Mutations; International Aid Moves at a Snail's Pace
- ISIS Threat: Australia Terror Alert Level at 'Medium' as Saudi King Warns of Attacks in Europe in a Month
- Jennifer Lawrence Nude Photos Leak Raises Doubts on Apple's iCloud; How to Secure Apple ID
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Can Kill Samsung with Android KitKat and Android One: Here's How