Mary Kom is Yahoo! India's First-Ever Person of the Year
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | December 27, 2012 6:53 PM EST
Five-time world champion Mangte Chungneijang Mary Kom, who hit the headlines after winning a medal in the first ever women's boxing event at the London Olympics 2012, has been named Yahoo! India's first-ever Person of the Year.
Fondly called 'Magnificent Mary' by the media, Kom displayed an exemplary performance in the 51 Kg category of Women's Boxing, which was introduced in the Olympics for the first time, and brought home a bronze medal.
"Million Dollar Mary. With pride, privilege and immense pleasure we announce Yahoo! India's first-ever Person of the Year 2012. MANGTE CHUNGNEIJANG MARY KOM, Olympic boxer, five-time world champion, model Indian woman, ambassador of the northeast, mother, daughter, wife, friend, teacher, muse... it was not a difficult choice to pick the one Indian whose life story begs to be told," announced Yahoo! India.
The 29-year-old mother of five-year-old twins from Manipur was the lone Indian to participate in the women's boxing event at the Olympics. She lost to world no. 2 Nicola Adams of Britain in the semi final but assured herself of the bronze medal following her quarter final win over Maroua Rahali of Tunisia. She became the third Indian woman after Karnam Malleswari and Saina Nehwal to win an Olympic medal.
She is currently ranked world no. 4 in Women's Ranking Flyweight category by AIBA. The Election Commission of India has made her one of its "national icons".
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Novak Djokovic Receives Peugeot 107 Pedal Car For His Newborn
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS