Mary Kom is Yahoo! India's First-Ever Person of the Year
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | December 27, 2012 6:53 PM EST
Five-time world champion Mangte Chungneijang Mary Kom, who hit the headlines after winning a medal in the first ever women's boxing event at the London Olympics 2012, has been named Yahoo! India's first-ever Person of the Year.
Fondly called 'Magnificent Mary' by the media, Kom displayed an exemplary performance in the 51 Kg category of Women's Boxing, which was introduced in the Olympics for the first time, and brought home a bronze medal.
"Million Dollar Mary. With pride, privilege and immense pleasure we announce Yahoo! India's first-ever Person of the Year 2012. MANGTE CHUNGNEIJANG MARY KOM, Olympic boxer, five-time world champion, model Indian woman, ambassador of the northeast, mother, daughter, wife, friend, teacher, muse... it was not a difficult choice to pick the one Indian whose life story begs to be told," announced Yahoo! India.
The 29-year-old mother of five-year-old twins from Manipur was the lone Indian to participate in the women's boxing event at the Olympics. She lost to world no. 2 Nicola Adams of Britain in the semi final but assured herself of the bronze medal following her quarter final win over Maroua Rahali of Tunisia. She became the third Indian woman after Karnam Malleswari and Saina Nehwal to win an Olympic medal.
She is currently ranked world no. 4 in Women's Ranking Flyweight category by AIBA. The Election Commission of India has made her one of its "national icons".
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Rafael Nadal Crowned as Most Popular Personality in Spain
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales