Arsenal Transfer News: Zambian Star Confirms Date with Gunners
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | December 21, 2012 9:02 PM EST
Arsenal could sign Zambian defender Stoppila Sunzu in the January transfer window, according to The Sun. The 23 year old international, who plays club football for Congolese side TP Mazembe, said he would travel to England after his country's friendly against Tanzania on Saturday.
"I don't know the details of the deal yet because I have not discussed with both Arsenal and TP Mazembe. However I spoke to both Mr Katumbi (Mazembe chairman) and Arsene Wenger, who assured me that I would not be going to London for trials but to discuss personal terms and possibly sign a contract," the defender told the Zambian FA's official Web site.
The Gunners are in dire need of a squad revamp after a particularly poor first half of the season; Wenger's side are fifth with 27 points from 17 games and lie 15 points of leaders Manchester United.
And as part of the revamp, reports suggest Swiss defender Johan Djourou is expected to leave the club, initially on loan. The Daily Mail indicates the 25 year old would like to move to Italian club Napoli but his agent, Flavio Ferraria, has been quoted as saying no decision had been taken. French international Sebastien Squillaci is also surplus to tactical requirements at the Emirates, meaning Wenger has only three central defenders - Thomas Vermaelen, Per Mertesacker and Laurent Koscielny.
Sunzu has represented his country at the 2007 U20 World Cup, after which Premier League club Reading expressed an interest. However, the move failed to go through and since then the centre back has won a host of championships in Africa, including the 2012 African Cup of Nations.
Wenger's only point of concern, at the moment, will be news the Royals have reactivated their interest in the defender. The Metro reports Brian McDermott's side have bid £3m (Mazembe want £5m).
Wenger on CL Draw
Meanwhile, Wenger has expressed concern over the results of the draw for the Champions League Round of 16 stage. The Gunners have been drawn to face 2011/12 finalists Bayern Munich. However, the Frenchman did also admit he was relieved at not having to face Catalan giants Barcelona.
"The German clubs have made a big, big leap forward in recent years. The Spanish clubs are traditionally there and in England we have a little deficit because usually at that level we have four, but there are only two this season," Wenger explained.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Chasing Floyd Mayweather Jr. Because Of Money But Says Undefeated American Is Afraid Of Filipino - Analysts
- Minnesota Timberwolves 2015-2015 NBA Preview: Wiggins-Rubio Era In Minneapolis Begins
- Dallas Mavericks 2015-2015 NBA Preview: Nowitzki, Ellis Has New Shooting Partner In Parsons
- Los Angeles Clippers 2014-2015 NBA Preview: Chris Paul, Blake And Lob City Aiming High
- ‘The X Factor Australia' 2014 Winner Prediction - Dean Ray Will Win Title, According To Betting Odds; Marlisa Punzalan, Brothers 3 Are The Underdogs
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- iPhone 6 vs Nexus 6 vs Galaxy Note 4: Performance and User Interface Comparison
- Fappening: Message Board Posters Belittle Nude Photo Leakers As D-Listers Seeking Publicity
- Fappening: Lindsay Clubine, Wife Of Boston Red Sox Pitcher Clay Buchholz, & George Sampson Of Britain’s Got Talent, Are The Latest Victims Of Celebrity Nude Leaks
- U.S. Missile Shield In Europe Opens In Romania: Russia's Reservations Ignored
- Spain Offers To Train Iraqi Troops To Fight Back ISIS Militants: Kurdish Forces Making Gains In Kobani Against ISIS Surge