Kingfisher Airlines Shares Gain On Licence Renewal Bid
By Nimisha Nair | December 21, 2012 7:01 PM EST
The shares of debt-laden Kingfisher Airlines gained 2.98 percent on BSE earlier on Friday following the reports of the airline's application for the renewal of its operating licence to aviation regulatory Directorate General of Civil Aviation (DGCA) on Thursday.
DGCA has reportedly rejected Kingfisher's application on the grounds of not coming up with a viable plan as to how the airline would pay its staff and other debts including that of various banks, oil companies and airports, which are estimated to be over ₹ 7,500 cr.
"This application for extending license is a mere formality. Any airline whose license is expiring has to apply for renewal before the date of expiry even if the license has to be extended at some later stage" Times of India quoted a senior DGCA official as saying. "Now with this application, Kingfisher has kept the option of getting back its license at some later stage if it ever manages to raise the required funds through either an internal funding from the group or an external investor," he added.
The licence of Kingfisher Airlines was suspended by DGCA in October following mass protest by staff over unpaid salary and frequent flight cancellations. To add to the crisis, it is reported that four Kingfisher aircrafts will soon be taken back by International Lease Finance Corp (ILFC) that leases planes to commercial airlines.
Earlier this week, the reports of Etihad Airways, the flagship carrier of United Arab Emirates, taking stake in Kingfisher Airlines had stirred the stocks of the company.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
Join the Conversation
- ISIS Video of Slain Syrian Soldiers Raises Doubts; Syrian Gov't Demands Release of Captured Troops
- The Most Insane Facts About The American Civil War That You May Not Know
- Viral Video Kevin Droniak Grandma: Teenager Shows Grandma Their Videos Together, Grandma Gives Priceless Reaction
- Major Highlights On 1400 Minor’s Sex Assault
- 7-Year Old Buried Alive By 'Family' Crawls Out From Under The Ground
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Firms Up as iWatch Rollout Delayed to Jan 2015 – Reports
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- James Foley Torture Involves CIA Waterboarding Technique
- Malaysia Airlines to Axe 4,000 Employees, Including CEO; Suspends Trading of Shares
- Verizon on Nationwide Launch of VoLTE
- West Looks Divided in Tackling Russian Invasion In Ukraine