Cory Booker Weighing Senate Run
By Jeremy B. White | December 21, 2012 5:23 AM EST
Forget Trenton: Corey Booker is thinking about Washington.
'The charismatic young Newark mayor, who had floated the possibility of taking on New Jersey governor Chris Christie, has said he is instead weighing a potential Senate run.
Booker announced his intention in a posting on his website titled "Finishing the Work We Started," in which he wrote that "will explore the possibility of running for The United States Senate in 2014."
Should he run, Booker would be gunning for the seat currently occupied by Senator Frank Lautenberg. As the senior of New Jersey’s two Democratic senators, the 88-year-old Lautenberg is also the Senate’s oldest member.
Despite his status as Senate elder, Lautenberg has said he plans to run for another term when his current one ends in 2014. Booker suggested that his candidacy would go forward only with Lautenberg’s blessing.
"I look forward to consulting with Senator Lautenberg," Booker wrote. "During my lifetime, he has been one of New Jersey's most important leaders. It would be a privilege to continue his great legacy of service."
Booker has made a name for himself in part with stunts that went beyond his political duties. His extracurricular exploits include saving a neighbor from a burning house and living off of food stamps for a week in a response to a challenge from a Twitter follower. (Booker, a prolific tweeter, has used the service to respond to constituents, including dispatching plows to dig out Newark residents inundated in snow.)
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- ISIS Will Target the U.S. Power Grid, Former CIA Says; Could Tap Other Fellow Extremist Groups to Do the Job
- Russia Massacres Ukrainian Volunteer Battalions—Surviving Members Alleged
- Teachers’ Strike in BC, Canada Stalls 1st Day of School; Labour Dispute Could Last Even After Labour Day
- Australia Races Against Potential Genocide In Iraq
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones