Cory Booker Weighing Senate Run
By Jeremy B. White | December 21, 2012 5:23 AM EST
Forget Trenton: Corey Booker is thinking about Washington.
'The charismatic young Newark mayor, who had floated the possibility of taking on New Jersey governor Chris Christie, has said he is instead weighing a potential Senate run.
Booker announced his intention in a posting on his website titled "Finishing the Work We Started," in which he wrote that "will explore the possibility of running for The United States Senate in 2014."
Should he run, Booker would be gunning for the seat currently occupied by Senator Frank Lautenberg. As the senior of New Jersey’s two Democratic senators, the 88-year-old Lautenberg is also the Senate’s oldest member.
Despite his status as Senate elder, Lautenberg has said he plans to run for another term when his current one ends in 2014. Booker suggested that his candidacy would go forward only with Lautenberg’s blessing.
"I look forward to consulting with Senator Lautenberg," Booker wrote. "During my lifetime, he has been one of New Jersey's most important leaders. It would be a privilege to continue his great legacy of service."
Booker has made a name for himself in part with stunts that went beyond his political duties. His extracurricular exploits include saving a neighbor from a burning house and living off of food stamps for a week in a response to a challenge from a Twitter follower. (Booker, a prolific tweeter, has used the service to respond to constituents, including dispatching plows to dig out Newark residents inundated in snow.)
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Russian Govt Found Tinkering Wikipedia Crash Info
- Italian Appeals Court Overturns 2013 Sex with Underage Prostitute Conviction Against Former PM Silvio Berlusconi
- New Zealand Pays Tribute to Kiwi MH17 Victims Amid World Clamor for Russian Cooperation
- New Senator Jacqui Lambie Heats Up Aussie Radio by Saying Potential Suitor Should Be Rich and Well-Hung
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- NVIDIA Shield Gaming Tablet with Tegra K1 SoC Reported to be Released on July 29
- BlackBerry Passport Video Leak, Release Date, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate [Watch YouTube Clip] --Reports
- Iphone 6 Release Date Fast -Approaching, Reuse and Recycle Program Now in Australia