Somalia Boat Capsize: 55 Feared Dead in Gulf of Aden
By Hannah Osborne | December 21, 2012 5:16 AM EST
Fifty-five people believed to be refugees from violence-torn Somalia have died after an overcrowded boat capsized off the coast.
The vessel was carrying 55 Somalis and Ethiopians and was on its way to Yemen when it sank in the Gulf of Aden.
It got into trouble shortly after leaving the port of Bosasso, said reports.
The UN said it was the biggest loss of life in the Gulf of Aden since February 2011, when 57 people drowned.
A spokesman for the UNHCR said: "Twenty-three bodies have been recovered. The 32 remaining passengers are presumed to have drowned."
Five people survived.
The UNHCR said people making the journey to Yemen often used overcrowded or unseaworthy vessels. The agency said 95 people have drowned or gone missing in the gulf between Somalia and Yemen in 2012.
UNHCR high commissioner António Guterres said: "The Gulf of Aden remains one of the deadliest routes for those fleeing the fatal mix of conflict, violence and human rights abuses in the Horn of Africa."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Kate Middleton First Official Solo Trip: Details For Malta Tour Revealed [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Fate of MH370, MH17 Trigger Mass Resignation of Crew in Malaysia Airlines
- ISIS $3 Million Daily Oil Revenues Fund Operations; Obama to Build International Coalition to Widen Assault
- British Cleric Accused of Urging James Foley Executioner; Predicted ISIS Will Fight in the West
- Amish Girls Abducted, Handcuffed And Used As Sex Slaves
- Asylum Seekers Demand Compensation From Australia for Neglect and Poor Healthcare
- Why Moto X is Not the Best Smartphone to Purchase Now?
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Two Weeks to Go Starting at $800 with New Phosphorus HealthKit Chip
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini vs. LG G3 S (aka LG G3 Beat, LG G3 Mini) – Specs, Features And Price Showdown
- Bill Shorten Calls Tony Abbott 'Ineligible' To Lead Australia; Government Party-Room Leaks On Abbott'sTravel Entitlements
- Google Nexus 6 Release May Be the New Google Nexus X Smartphone as New Details Emerge