Somalia Boat Capsize: 55 Feared Dead in Gulf of Aden
By Hannah Osborne | December 21, 2012 5:16 AM EST
Fifty-five people believed to be refugees from violence-torn Somalia have died after an overcrowded boat capsized off the coast.
The vessel was carrying 55 Somalis and Ethiopians and was on its way to Yemen when it sank in the Gulf of Aden.
It got into trouble shortly after leaving the port of Bosasso, said reports.
The UN said it was the biggest loss of life in the Gulf of Aden since February 2011, when 57 people drowned.
A spokesman for the UNHCR said: "Twenty-three bodies have been recovered. The 32 remaining passengers are presumed to have drowned."
Five people survived.
The UNHCR said people making the journey to Yemen often used overcrowded or unseaworthy vessels. The agency said 95 people have drowned or gone missing in the gulf between Somalia and Yemen in 2012.
UNHCR high commissioner António Guterres said: "The Gulf of Aden remains one of the deadliest routes for those fleeing the fatal mix of conflict, violence and human rights abuses in the Horn of Africa."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Pregnant Kate Middleton Reportedly Prohibits Camilla Parker-Bowles From ‘Seeing Her Family’ And Newborn
- Ebola in US: Stock Surge for Pharmaceutical Companies Working on Vaccine
- Local Syrians Have Mixed Reactions To US Airstrikes Against ISIS; Opposition 'Suspicious'
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy: Duchess Forced By The Queen To Be Out In The Public Again
- 5 Things You Should Know About House Training Your Pets
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Apple iPhone 6 vs. OnePlus One: With Invitation-Only Model Rested, OnePlus One Can Be A Real Threat To iPhone 6
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build
- Samsung Aware Of Gap Issue On Galaxy Note 4, Mentions It As Important Manufacturing Feature In Note 4 User Manual
- Airstrikes Against ISIS Has Claimed Innocent Lives In Syria, Dubbed ‘Ineffective’ By Jihadi Fighters, US Military To Ask For More Spending Money