Somalia Boat Capsize: 55 Feared Dead in Gulf of Aden
By Hannah Osborne | December 21, 2012 5:16 AM EST
Fifty-five people believed to be refugees from violence-torn Somalia have died after an overcrowded boat capsized off the coast.
The vessel was carrying 55 Somalis and Ethiopians and was on its way to Yemen when it sank in the Gulf of Aden.
It got into trouble shortly after leaving the port of Bosasso, said reports.
The UN said it was the biggest loss of life in the Gulf of Aden since February 2011, when 57 people drowned.
A spokesman for the UNHCR said: "Twenty-three bodies have been recovered. The 32 remaining passengers are presumed to have drowned."
Five people survived.
The UNHCR said people making the journey to Yemen often used overcrowded or unseaworthy vessels. The agency said 95 people have drowned or gone missing in the gulf between Somalia and Yemen in 2012.
UNHCR high commissioner António Guterres said: "The Gulf of Aden remains one of the deadliest routes for those fleeing the fatal mix of conflict, violence and human rights abuses in the Horn of Africa."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Six English Words Which Originated From Arabic
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Robots May Be Used to Fight Ebola in West Africa; Australian PM Admits US, UK Asked For Medical Teams
- Decades-Long Mystery of Oklahoma Lake Solved, Missing Six Bodies Identified
- Belgium Chocolate Maker ISIS Forced To Change Brand Name To Escape Customer Fury
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS