Facebook Helps Strengthen Boys’ Friendships
By Hannah Osborne | December 21, 2012 5:09 AM EST
While there has been extensive research about the negative effects on children using social networks, such as anxiety, depression and social isolation, few have highlighted the benefits of such sites.
Researchers at the University of York found that boys aged between nine and 13 felt more a part of their friendship groups if they used social networking sites (SNSs).
Sally Quinn and Julian Oldmeadow studied 443 children, 49 percent of whom were boys, from five primary schools and two secondary schools.
They asked them to complete questionnaires about their use of social networks and their friendship groups. Questions included: "How long have you been using a social networking site to contact your friends in your group?" and "How often do you use a social networking site to contact your friends in your group?"
Quinn said: "Previous research has suggested that online communication is associated with increased closeness to friends and friendship quality.
"We know that children under 13 years of age are increasingly using SNSs but little research has focused on the effects of friendship for this age group. Our study examined links to group belonging for boys aged between 9-13."
The researchers also asked questions about the boys' feelings of belonging, such as "I feel the rest of my friendship group accept me", with a scale ranging from "not at all" to "really true".
Findings showed that boys who used SNSs had greater feelings of belonging to their friendship groups than those who did not.
Quinn concluded: "Among boys of this age, friendship groups are characterised by lower levels of self-disclosure, acceptance and closeness than those for girls.
"In the offline world, boys' self-disclosure increases at around age 13/14 years, later than that for girls.
"Our research is consistent with the view that boys may value the online environment as a rehearsal space for self-disclosure skills and that SNSs might help those who are less socially mature, with evidence suggesting that those who are socially anxious prefer the online environment for communication."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
Join the Conversation
- ISIS War to Last For 4 Years; US Military Shows Videos of Airstrikes Hitting Militant Base [VIDEO]
- Australia's Chance Of El Niño Rises To 70%; Heatwaves And Drought To Persist
- Australia Joins Global Effort to Stop Russian Website From Illegally Streaming Web Cam Feeds
- Woman Gets Killed After Falling Off Cliff During Expedition Near Mermaid Pool
- ‘Drunk Girl in Public' Actress Apologises; Actor Tells Dr. Drew He Thought It Was Comedy Skit
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports