Twitter Reshuffles Top Executives, Appoints New COO and CFO
By Yannick LeJacq | December 21, 2012 3:20 AM EST
Social media startup and looming Facebook (Nasdaq: FB) rival Twitter has shaken up its top executive positions, announcing the changes on Twitter (of all places) throughout Thursday evening.
The current Chief Financial Officer Ali Rowghani, who previously filled the same role at Walt Disney Company’s (NYSE: DIS) Pixar animation studios, will be moving to the top operating role and COO. Mike Gupta, a former treasurer for the social game developer Zynga (Nasdaq: ZNGA) will be replacing Rowghani as the company’s new CFO.
Rowghani first tipped off the tech blogoshphere when he, naturally, updated his personal Twitter profile to reflect the new position. But Twitter’s chief executive Dick Costolo confirmed the news in a tweet Wednesday evening.
“Congratulations to @rowghani [Ali Rowghani] on his new role as COO and to @mgupta [Mike Gupta] on his new role as CFO,” Costolo’s tweet said.
According to the tech blog AllThingsD, Rowghani’s was already focused primarily on operational responsibilities rather than strictly financial ones, so at least as far as the company is concerned, the switch in his title could be a change in name only.
Mike Gupta, meanwhile, has only been at Twitter for two months. He first joined the company after leaving his roles as treasurer and senior vice president of Zynga in mid-November, one of the last in a long line of high-profile departures for the struggling game developer. Previously, Gupta served as a treasurer and senior VP with Zynga. Before that, Gupta spent eight years working in various finance roles at Yahoo (Nasdaq: YHOO).
Professional qualifications aside, Gupta has not put his company’s core product to much personal use. His Twitter profile is over two years old according to the Twitter tracking service myTwitterage, but he only began tweeting on Wednesday—presumably after his new role had been finalized to everyone but the most public elements of Twitter.
“I can’t stay off the grid forever,” he wrote in his third-ever message on the social network.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Celebrities Suffering From Lupus: Facts About the Disease
Join the Conversation
- Before Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire: TwitchPlaysPokemon Goes X and Y, More Events and More Gym Leader Info
- PS4 News: 2 Possible Sets of PS Plus Games for August 2014 Leaked and Additional Features for PS4
- Android 4.4.3 and 4.4.4 KitKat Still Delayed for Samsung Galaxy S3, Galaxy Note 2, Galaxy S4 and Galaxy Note 3
- Xbox One News: Games with Gold for August Announced; Updates for Progress in China
- The SIMS 4 on Sept 2 Release: Low Demands Specs, No Toddlers or Pools and 3 Premium Packs
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona, Man Utd to Compete for Juan Cuadrado's Signature as Fiorentina Reveal Willingness to Sell
- Hilary Duff's New Music Video Chasing the Sun Goes Viral on YouTube [WATCH VIDEO]
- LeBron James to Return to Miami, Face Heat on Christmas Day 2014
- Shanghai Stock Exchange Will Not Extend Trading Hours
- Qatar's Surging Real Estate Prices Won't Affect Thriving Economy – Report