Here’s Why Research in Motion Actually Has a Fighting Chance
By Mark Knapp | December 21, 2012 2:21 AM EST
Research in Motion (NASDAQ:RIMM) is making deals with carriers to get its new BlackBerry 10 devices out the gate quick when it launches them in January. This is just another move in RIM’s aggressive push to get back in the game it once dominated, but which has since seen taken over by competitors like Apple’s (NASDAQ:AAPL) iPhone and Google’s (NASDAQ:GOOG) Android devices.
Vodafone (NASDAQ:VOD), O2, and EE are the U.K. carriers that RIM reached out to, and all three have chosen to offer the new devices. Even the U.K.’s smallest carrier, Three, says it will offer the devices. Having already put the new devices into the hands of business and government officials, RIM must be excited to have more carriers that will put more devices in consumer hands on 3G and 4G networks, with Rogers in Canada already offering pre-orders.
Catalysts are critical to discovering winning stocks. Check out our newest CHEAT SHEET stock picks now.
CHEAT SHEET Analysis: How will the carrier deals affect RIM’s shares?
One of the core components of our CHEAT SHEET Investing Framework focuses on catalysts that will move a company’s .
An important element to any manufacturers success is sales, and having a bunch of carriers putting out the device and a little excitement over new hardware and new might be just what RIM needs to reinvigorate BlackBerry sales. Having not made any exclusive deals with carriers, as Nokia (NYSE:NOK) is doing with AT&T (NYSE:T) and its Lumia 920, RIM has ensured that its new devices will be widely available to the largest number of consumers possible.
If RIM succeeds at snatching back a bigger chunk of the it lost to Apple and Samsung (SSNLF), and the like, its shares stand to grow from increased sales. In addition, RIM may be able to win back business users, helping it to flank other manufacturers in the smartphone war.
Copyright Wall St Cheat Street All rights reserved.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans