Here’s Why Research in Motion Actually Has a Fighting Chance
By Mark Knapp | December 21, 2012 2:21 AM EST
Research in Motion (NASDAQ:RIMM) is making deals with carriers to get its new BlackBerry 10 devices out the gate quick when it launches them in January. This is just another move in RIM’s aggressive push to get back in the game it once dominated, but which has since seen taken over by competitors like Apple’s (NASDAQ:AAPL) iPhone and Google’s (NASDAQ:GOOG) Android devices.
Vodafone (NASDAQ:VOD), O2, and EE are the U.K. carriers that RIM reached out to, and all three have chosen to offer the new devices. Even the U.K.’s smallest carrier, Three, says it will offer the devices. Having already put the new devices into the hands of business and government officials, RIM must be excited to have more carriers that will put more devices in consumer hands on 3G and 4G networks, with Rogers in Canada already offering pre-orders.
Catalysts are critical to discovering winning stocks. Check out our newest CHEAT SHEET stock picks now.
CHEAT SHEET Analysis: How will the carrier deals affect RIM’s shares?
One of the core components of our CHEAT SHEET Investing Framework focuses on catalysts that will move a company’s .
An important element to any manufacturers success is sales, and having a bunch of carriers putting out the device and a little excitement over new hardware and new might be just what RIM needs to reinvigorate BlackBerry sales. Having not made any exclusive deals with carriers, as Nokia (NYSE:NOK) is doing with AT&T (NYSE:T) and its Lumia 920, RIM has ensured that its new devices will be widely available to the largest number of consumers possible.
If RIM succeeds at snatching back a bigger chunk of the it lost to Apple and Samsung (SSNLF), and the like, its shares stand to grow from increased sales. In addition, RIM may be able to win back business users, helping it to flank other manufacturers in the smartphone war.
Copyright Wall St Cheat Street All rights reserved.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
Join the Conversation
- New Zealand Economy Benefits From Australia's Big Investments; Kiwi Down After RNBZ Comments
- ETF Outlook for Thursday, January 2 (FEZ, FXI, SPY, XHB)
- January Second Trading: Always Interesting
- 13 Things Investors Learned In 2013 - Part II
- Are Diversity and Quality the Way to Profit from the Rebound in Gold and Coal?
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- NATO To Russia: 'Pull Back Your Troops'
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports
- Xiaomi to Kill Redmi 1S for More Redmi Notes