Michael Douglas' Drug-Addict Son Cameron Persuaded Lawyer to Smuggle Drugs into Prison Using Bra
By Toyin Owoseje | December 21, 2012 1:26 AM EST
Michael Douglas's drug-addict son has admitted to getting his defence lawyer to smuggle drugs into prison for him.
Cameron Douglas, 34, who is serving a five-year sentence for drug-related offences, apparently romanced Jennifer Ridha and the besotted attorney would often bring him contraband which she had slipped into her underwear.
Douglas, previously an actor like his father, also admitted to sharing drugs with other inmates, smoking cigarettes, gambling and snorting substances while incarcerated.
After his actions were exposed, he pleaded guilty to smuggling drugs into prison and subsequently received an additional 4 1/2 years in jail for this charge.
The presiding judge banned him from receiving family visits for two years and enlisted him in a prison drug treatment programme.
The extent of the former actor's problems were laid bare as his legal team returned to court for the judge's decision.
According to Douglas's new lawyer Paul Shechtman, although he believed his client should be punished, the additional five years that Douglas received "may be the harshest sentence ever imposed on a federal prisoner for a drug possession offence".
Douglas, who has had multiple run-ins with the law, was arrested for drug offences at least three times before being sent to prison in 2010.
"While still a young teenager, he drank heavily and began selling drugs," Mr Shechtman told the court.
"He used illegal drugs to self-medicate - to ward off depression and panic attacks."
Michael Douglas, who split from Cameron's mother Diandra in 1995,was also appeared at the Manhattan court to support his son.
Asked if he was hoping for the best, the Basic Instinct and Fatal Attraction star replied "clearly."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date