Michael Douglas' Drug-Addict Son Cameron Persuaded Lawyer to Smuggle Drugs into Prison Using Bra
By Toyin Owoseje | December 21, 2012 1:26 AM EST
Michael Douglas's drug-addict son has admitted to getting his defence lawyer to smuggle drugs into prison for him.
Cameron Douglas, 34, who is serving a five-year sentence for drug-related offences, apparently romanced Jennifer Ridha and the besotted attorney would often bring him contraband which she had slipped into her underwear.
Douglas, previously an actor like his father, also admitted to sharing drugs with other inmates, smoking cigarettes, gambling and snorting substances while incarcerated.
After his actions were exposed, he pleaded guilty to smuggling drugs into prison and subsequently received an additional 4 1/2 years in jail for this charge.
The presiding judge banned him from receiving family visits for two years and enlisted him in a prison drug treatment programme.
The extent of the former actor's problems were laid bare as his legal team returned to court for the judge's decision.
According to Douglas's new lawyer Paul Shechtman, although he believed his client should be punished, the additional five years that Douglas received "may be the harshest sentence ever imposed on a federal prisoner for a drug possession offence".
Douglas, who has had multiple run-ins with the law, was arrested for drug offences at least three times before being sent to prison in 2010.
"While still a young teenager, he drank heavily and began selling drugs," Mr Shechtman told the court.
"He used illegal drugs to self-medicate - to ward off depression and panic attacks."
Michael Douglas, who split from Cameron's mother Diandra in 1995,was also appeared at the Manhattan court to support his son.
Asked if he was hoping for the best, the Basic Instinct and Fatal Attraction star replied "clearly."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Forced Marriages And Child Brides Rampant In Australia: Police Said
- Singapore Top Court Maintains Law Criminalising Gay Sex
- Google Loses Lawsuit Against Canadian Woman Over Breast Exposure
- Ebola Divides The US: More States Begin Applying Stricter Guidelines Than What CDC Imposed
- Roast Busters Scandal Investigation: No Charges Filed
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2
- Canada’s Official ISIS Mission Starts On Weekend; Kuwait Uneasy