Facebook CEO Christmas Gift Benefits Charity With $500 Million Worth Of Stocks
By VALLI MEENAKSHI RAMANATHAN | December 21, 2012 12:31 AM EST
Facebook (Nasdaq: FB) CEO Mark Zuckerberg has done it again! Zuckerberg has donated liberally to a charity in Silicon Valley with a view to address health and education issues plaguing the charity beneficiaries.
Zuckerberg has parted with 18 million Facebook shares valued at $498.8 million based on Dec. 18 closing price the Associated Press has reported.
Silicon Valley Community Foundation is the recipient of this benevolent dole out. A not for profit organization, the charity helps donors identify and manage charitable funds in sync with their philanthropic passions. And the current charity donation is identified to be Zuckerberg's biggest donation to date.
Besides, it also appears to be the biggest donation made by Facebook after its IPO in May 2012. Prior to the IPO, Facebook pledged $100 million in Facebook stock to Newark and New Jersey public schools in 2010.
This apart, in 2010, Zuckerberg and his wife Priscilla Chan joined the Giving Pledge initiative led by Microsoft Corp. founder Bill Gates and Berkshire Hathaway Inc. CEO Warren Buffett that attempts to urge all the rich donators to part with their wealth.
In a facebook posting Tuesday, Zuckerberg noted how he and his wife donated 18 million Facebook shares to the Foundation adding: "Together, we will look for areas in education and health to focus on next. I'm hopeful we'll be able to have as positive an impact in our next set of projects."
Appreciating Zuckerberg's generous gesture, Emmett D Carson, chief executive office of the foundation stated: "Mark's generous gift will change lives and inspire others in Silicon Valley and around the globe to give back and make the world a better place."
Reminiscing with pride the work done with Startup: Education in Newark, NJ., Zuckerberg wrote on the facebook post: "I'm really proud of the work we've done there, helping leaders like Governor Chris Christie and Mayor Cory Booker sign the most progressive teachers contract in our country, opening four new district high schools, 11 new charter schools and more."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘Halo: Master Chief’ Collection Update Detailed As ‘Halo: Nightfall’ Continues To Roll
- LG G4: Speculations About The Next Big Thing For 2015
- ‘Destiny’ Dev Details Update; New Exotic Weapons Coming And New Speculations On Free Trial
- ‘GTA 5 Online’ Gets Errors Despite Patches; Devs Update Fans On Online Heists
- AT&T Nexus 6 Returned To Motorola Due To Software Bug: Black Screen And Failure To Connect To Service
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Black Friday Sale 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James