Miss Universe 2012: Miss USA Olivia Culpo Wins Crown, Calls Win a Dream
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | December 20, 2012 7:54 PM EST
Miss USA, Olivia Culpo, was crowned Miss Universe 2012 at Las Vegas' Planet Hollywood Resort and Casino, beating 88 other contestants.
Culpo is now the first American since 1997 to win this title and for the next year she will travel the world, representing the Miss Universe Organisation and a charity of her choice. She was crowned Miss Rhode Island USA 2012 on 18 September, on her pageant debut.
During the interview round, Culpo was asked, by Ximena Navarrete, Miss Universe 2010, if she regretted any one incident from her past.
"First I'd like to start off by saying that every experience, no matter what it is, good or bad, you'll learn from it. That's just life," Culpo, who is the middle child of five, said, "But something I've done that I've probably regretted would be picking on my siblings growing up because you appreciate them so much more when you're older, you get closer with your family. Everybody fights with their siblings, right?! But I don't regret it."
Miss Philippines, Janine Tugonon, was first runner-up and Miss Venezuela, Irene Sofia Esser Quintero, the second. Miss Australia, Renae Ayris, was fourth and Miss Brazil, Gabriela Markus, rounded out the top five.
Special awards were given to Miss Guatemala's Laura Godoy - Miss Congeniality; Miss Kosovo's Diana Avdiu - Miss Photogenic; and Miss China's Wen Xia Yu - Best National Costume. And other competitions and events held during this Miss Universe 2012 pageant were - Evening Gown competition, Swimsuit competition and the National Gift Auction.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Washington Redskins 20, Dallas Cowboys 17 (OT) [PHOTOS]
- Emma Watson Gets 'Squished' In 'Colonia Dignidad' [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 30, 2014: Eric Names Rick The New CEO Of Forrester Creations After Finding Out About Ridge And Caroline [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'The Originals' Season 2: Joseph Morgan Talks About Nina Dobrev's Crossover, Julie Plec Reveals Which TVD Character She Wants In Spinoff Series
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 29, 2014: Caroline Is Remorseful About What Happened To Her And Ridge While Katie Is Fuming [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'Star Wars: Episode 7' Leaked Image Of New Villain Clutching Red Lightsaber [Spoilers]
- 'The Walking Dead' Star Norman Reedus Bashes The Report That He Begged The Producers Not To Turn Daryl Dixon Gay
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight