Chelsea Transfer Rumour: Croatian Defender to Replace David Luiz
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | December 20, 2012 7:25 PM EST
Chelsea have stepped up interest in Lyon £6m Croatian defender Dejan Lovren, according to the Metro.
The European champions put in a lacklustre performance in the final of the FIFA Club World Cup in Japan, which they lost 0-1 to Brazilians Corinthians. And a mini mid-season revival under interim manager Rafael Benitez threatened to go awry, when they conceded the lead in Wednesday evening's League Cup quarter final to Leeds United.
However, the Blues stormed back to put five goals past Neil Warnock's side, at Elland Road, and book a semi final date with Premier League club Swansea City.
The emphatic reply notwithstanding, it is believed Benitez is considering a move for Lovren to help shore up the club's leaky defence; the Stamford Bridge side have not kept a clean sheet since the consecutive home draws in late November. And Brazilian centre back David Luiz is likely to be the man scarified.
Luiz transferred to west London from Portuguese club Benfica and although he impressed initially, it is believed Benitez considers him a defensive liability and will look to either return him to Benfica or make him available for transfer; Russians CSKA Moscow have been credited with an interest in the £10m-rated Brazilian, the Metro adds.
Meanwhile, the 23 year old Lovren, whom the Daily Mail linked to Liverpool last season, is contracted to Lyon until 2016.
Benitez Hails Chelsea Spirit
Meanwhile, Benitez has praised his side after the 5-1 win at Leeds. The London club conceded the lead to Luciano Becchio just before half-time. However, five second half strikes (Juan Mata, Victor Moses, Eden Hazard, Branislav Ivanovic and Fernando Torres) sealed a semi final spot for the visitors.
"I thought the performance was fantastic. You can see that in every game the team is a little bit stronger. At half-time I told the players to keep doing the same things - keep the ball, play a high tempo, press and when we are in possession pass the ball as quickly as possible... it is just a matter of time and confidence and trying to play the game we wanted to play," the former Liverpool boss explained.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFC News: Ronda Rousey To Avenge Teammates, Demands Bethe Correia
- FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: Argentina vs. Philippines Preview, Starting Lineups
- Grigor Dimitrov Shares Fashion Tips With Maria Sharapova
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Group B: Greece vs. Philippines Live Streaming Info, Betting Odds and Preview
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: USA vs. Turkey Preview, Starting Lineups [VIDEO]
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying