Australian Stock Market Report – Afternoon 12/20/2012
By Vittorio Hernandez | December 20, 2012 6:30 PM EST
Despite a flat start on the back of falls on Wall Street, local stocks rose to fresh 17 month highs today as the Federal Government scrapped its commitment for a budget surplus in FY 2013.
By close, the All Ordinaries Index (XAO) was at 4646.6pts, up 13.4pts or 0.3pct.
This afternoon Treasurer Wayne Swan admitted that the Federal Government was unlikely to deliver its promised surplus this financial year. The government's promise was dealt a hefty blow after it was revealed tax receipts in October were $3.9 billion weaker than originally forecast.
"This is a wise decision," said CommSec Economist Savanth Sebastian of the announcement. "The government is being fiscally responsible ... don't expect big spending promises".
Financial stocks were generally firmer today, with the sector up 0.7pct.
Mining stocks however gave back recent gains, with shares in Fortescue Metals Group (FMG) down 3.4pct to $4.50. FMG has had a great run in December and is trading up 51pct from the lows it reached in September when iron ore prices dived.
The price of gold remains subdued and is trading at its lowest levels since August, around US$1667 an ounce. Shares in Newcrest Mining (NCM) closed only slightly lower today, down 0.3pct to $22.49.
Oz Minerals (OZL) which saw its share price slide 10pct yesterday, today blamed broker downgrades for the fall. "We are aware that some analysts are updating their modelling and reports for OZ Minerals 2012 production and costs and 2013 expected production and costs,'' Oz Minerals said in a statement. It's believed one broker has downgraded its earnings for OZL by as much as 40pct. OZL today rose 3pct to $6.91.
The Competition regulator has given a tentative nod of approval to Qantas's close alliance with Emirates, but knocked the airlines back on their request for a 10-year timeframe for their deal. The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission today released a draft ruling proposing to allow the airlines to co-operate on passenger and freight operations across their networks. However the ACCC has proposed to limit the deal to five years because of concerns about the impact of the alliance on airline competition between Australia and New Zealand. QAN today rose 0.7pct to $1.46 while Virgin Australia (VAH) shares closed steady at 40.5c.
Surf wear retailer Billabong (BBG) remained under pressure in the wake of yesterday's profit downgrade and concerns its fifth takeover of the year could fall over. BBG shares lost almost 6pct today to close at 80c, just days after a proposed $1.10 per share takeover offer from former board director Paul Naude.
The Australian dollar ended the day's session at US104.88c, £0.6454 and €79.37c.
On the market overall, a total of 2.1 billion shares were traded, worth 6.6 billion. 472 were up, 445 were down and 348 were unchanged.
Ahead tonight, existing home sales, Philadelphia Fed index, and the leading indicator series are released in the US.
[Kick off your trading day with our newsletter]
More from IBT Markets:
Follow us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Subscribe to get this delivered to your inbox daily
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Melanoma Could Be Caused By Ageing Genes; Best Diet For Anti-Ageing; Celebrities Who Have Aged Gracefully
Join the Conversation
- Australian Stock Market Report – Afternoon September 29, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report – Morning September 29, 2014
- Environment Ministry OKs $2.2B North Galilee Basin Rail Project On 23 Conditions
- Australian Stock Market Report – Midday September 30, 2014
- Global Markets Overview – September 29, 2014
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Boxing News 2014: Social Media War Between Boxers Continues As Pacquiao Repeats Comment That Mayweather Acts Like Uneducated Person, While Ignoring ‘Miss Pac Man’ Post
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate