Australian Stock Market Report – Midday 12/20/2012
By Juliette Saly, CommSec Market Analyst | December 20, 2012 3:10 PM EST
Local stocks are trading flat at lunchtime in the East, slightly down from fresh 2012 and 17 month highs reached yesterday.
Another stalemate appears to have arisen in the US budget negotiations, with Republicans refusing to agree to tax hikes for Americans earning less than one million dollars. At the close of trade in the US, the Dow Jones Index was down 99pts or 0.7pct while European markets rallied ahead of the US close, on hopes a deal to avert the fiscal cliff would be reached. Financial stocks led the way in Europe, with the STOXX 600 Banking index up 0.5pct.
Mining stocks are pulling back, with the price of gold falling for the second consecutive session on reduced safe haven appeal. Comex gold futures closed down US$3 to US$1677.70 per ounce overnight. Shares in Australia's largest listed gold producer Newcrest Mining (NCM) are down 0.6pct to $22.43. BHP Billiton (BHP) shares are down 0.3pct to $36.95 while Rio Tinto (RIO) is lower by 1.1pct to $65.03. Fortescue Metals Group (FMG), which has so far had a great run in December, is trading lower by 2.6pct to $4.54.
Oz Minerals (OZL) saw its share price fall heavily yesterday down 10pct, with disclosure to the market today. OZL says it expects its copper output in 2013 to be down slightly on the year, and for its earnings this calendar year to be weighed down by lower commodity prices, reduced gold sales and increased production costs. OZL is today firmer by 3pct to $6.91.
Elsewhere retail stocks are generally firmer with Kathmandu (KMD) shares up 2.6pct to $1.585 and Myer Limited (MYR) up 0.7pct to $2.115.
However surf wear retailer Billabong (BBG) remains under pressure in the wake of yesterday's profit downgrade and concerns its fifth takeover of the year could fall over. BBG shares are down a further 6pct today to 80c.
The Australian dollar is worth US104.72c, £0.6442 and €79.23c.
[Kick off your trading day with our newsletter]
More from IBT Markets:
Follow us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Subscribe to get this delivered to your inbox dai
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- South Australia OKs $800M Copper, Gold & Iron Ore Mine on Prime Agri Land in Yorke Peninsula
- Australian Stock Market Report –Midday July 30, 2014
- Shanghai Stock Exchange Will Not Extend Trading Hours
- Long Beach Real Estate Market Is Pricing Out Home Buyers with Limited Budget
- Australian Stock Market Report –Afternoon July 30, 2014
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- 5 Food Scandals That Shocked The World