Did Billy Crystal Bomb Or Make You LOL On ESPN SportsCenter? [VIDEO]
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | December 20, 2012 10:58 AM EST
Billy Crystal made an appearance on ESPN's SportsCenter Wednesday night and depending on who you ask, he either bombed or had people laughing their guts out. Watch the video of his pre-game catchphrase practice and decide for yourself.
It's not quite clear how Billy Crystal, who played an NBA basketball referee in the 1995 film "Forget Paris," was chosen to appear on SportsCenter, but the results were pretty interesting whether or not you find them funny.
Video of the actor practicing his catchphrases backstage at ESPN hit YouTube prior to his apearance on SportsCenter, and the ideas he came up with were hilarious and totally different than the ones you would usually expect to hear. Here's a sampling:
"Boom, l'chaim! ... I'm trying to work on some new phrases. In your matzoh ball. I don't - it's - I'll get it," he said. "There's your kreplach."
Crystal went on to explain the excitement he felt about his ESPN debut, which he said during his on-air appearance has long been on his "bucket list":
"I've done nine Academy Awards, I'm more excited about this than anything I've ever done," he explained, before offering one last gem, "Take that or I'll sue you."
His actual remarks on SportsCenter were also hilarious, as he made quips about some of the big sports stories of the day.
"Three words. Lasik. Eye. Surgery."
He also had a quip for New York Knicks superstar Carmelo Anthony, telling them that next time he sees former New York Head Coach Mike D'Antoni - who is now at the helm of the Lakers - that he should go easy on him as he's "coaching senior citizens" now.
And he saved some of his jokes for the SportsCenter team itself, riffing on a commercial in which ESPN announcers jokingly reveal that they don't wear pants during the show:
"Do they know I'm not wearing pants right now?"
Press play below to watch the video of Billy Crystal practicing his sports-announcing catchphrases before his appearance on ESPN's SportsCenter Wednesday evening:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Dionesian ‘Hex’: Pacquiao’s Secret Weapon Behind His 8 Titles
- Chris Algieri Exposed, Criticised For Lack Of Desire To Win Against Manny Pacquiao
- Arum Says Pacquiao's Victory vs Algieri May Cause Mayweather To Say ‘No’ To Dream Match
- Boxing News: Manny Pacquiao 'Ready' To Fight Floyd Mayweather In 2015 Following Algieri Win
- Freddie Roach Asks Manny Pacquiao Not To Beat Up Algieri Too Badly So Mayweather Will Not Be Scared And Agree To Super Fight
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide