One of Five Possible Planets Circling Tau Ceti Could Be Habitable - Astronomers
By Arlene Paredes | December 20, 2012 9:35 AM EST
Astronomers have spotted five possible planets within Earth's vast neighborhood. One of these relatively nearby planets could be habitable, according to a study.
The five astronomical bodies have yet to be officially called planets because studies are still ongoing. But a couple of things can be shared with the public as early as now.
7 Things To Know About Astronomers' Studies into Possible 5-Planet Tau Ceti System
1. The five candidate planets are revolving around a star called Tau Ceti, which is only about 12 light-years from Earth.
2. Due to its relatively close proximity, Tau Ceti is visible to the naked eye in the constellation Cetus (the Whale). It is smaller and less intense than the sun.
3. One of the five possible planets has been observed to be within the right distance from Tau Ceti. It is possible for liquid water to exist in its environment. As such, life as we know it could be possible there.
4. The possible planet is estimated to be at least 4.3 times more massive than Earth. Once verified, it will be the smallest Earth-like planet ever discovered. It takes 168 days for this candidate planet to circle Tau Ceti .
5. "It is impossible to tell the composition, but I do not consider this particular planet to be very likely to have a rocky surface," lead study author Mikko Tuomi, of the University of Hertfordshire in England, told SPACE.com.
Tuomi carefully expressed nothing has been confirmed but "we cannot rule out the possibility that it indeed is of planetary origin."
6. Early studies around Tau Ceti led to nothing. The latest study made use of three elite spectrographs from Chile, Australia and Hawaii.
7. "Planetary systems found around nearby stars close to our sun indicate that these systems are common in our Milky Way galaxy." This is the implication of the latest study findings, according to James Jenkins, of the Universidad de Chile and the University of Hertfordshire.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy:Camilla And Princess Eugenie Reportedly Jealous, Claimed Duchess Only Good At Making Babies
- Prince Harry Reunites With Cressida Bonas On ‘Sex Tape’ Date Amid Dating Camilla Thurlow Reports
- Modern Forensic Science Reveals Evidence Of Brutal Killing Of King Richard III
- Avril Lavigne And Husband Chad Kroeger Call It Quits
- Racist Note Stereotyping Asian Drivers Left on Parked Car in NSW Sparks Online Outrage
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best