Liverpool Transfer News: Sturridge, Huntelaar, Ince And Biglia Discussed In Latest Speculation
By Jason Le Miere | December 20, 2012 6:51 AM EST
Liverpool expect to be able to unveil the signings of Chelsea’s Daniel Sturridge and Blackpool’s Tom Ince in the opening days of next month’s transfer window, according to the Times. The two deals have been widely reported for some time and it now appears all but certain they will go through for a combined fee of £18 million.
Brendan Rodgers revealed earlier this week that he would be focusing on adding to his side’s attacking options in January. The prospective arrival of Sturridge will help to alleviate some of the reliance on Luis Suarez who, with Fabio Borini out injured, is the club’s only available established striker.
Sturridge, 23, is expected to arrive for £12 million and will earn a weekly wage of £60,000, according to the Times. The England international has predominantly played as a wide forward throughout his career, although has stated his preference to play in a central striking role.
The former Manchester City youngster was thought to be close to a loan move to Liverpool in the summer, but talks broke down when he stated that he would only be interested in a permanent move away from Stamford Bridge.
The potential fee for Ince is thought to officially be £6 million, although that will effectively be reduced to around £4 million due to a sell on clause inserted when the winger left Anfield for Blackpool in the summer of 2011.
Ince, 20, has been a major success in the Championship since departing Liverpool and has scored 13 goals in 19 league games this season. The England Under-21 international has also been linked to Manchester United, while on Tuesday the Daily Star claimed that Tottenham and Newcastle were trying to hijack Liverpool’s deal.
Liverpool have also been linked with a move for Schalke’s Klaas-Jan Huntelaar, both in the summer and in the lead up to January’s transfer window. However, the signing of Sturridge would appear to signal the end of the Reds’ hopes of signing the Netherlands striker.
The 29-year-old’s contract is due to expire at the end of the season, fuelling speculation about a cut-price January move, with both Liverpool and Arsenal said to be keen. However, German publication DerWesten has claimed that Huntelaar is now poised to sign a new contract at Schalke.
While Liverpool are primarily linked to offensive players, TalkSport reports that the Reds are targeting Anderlecht midfielder Lucas Biglia. If the Reds are to land the Argentina international, however, then they will have to pay £8.35 million, according to the Belgian club.
Biglia has been at Anderlecht since 2006 and has been linked to a host of top clubs in recent times, including Arsenal and Milan.
"We have not formally received an offer for Lucas but we know that his agent is making moves in the transfer market," Anderlecht general manager Herman Van Holsbeeck told CalcioMercato.
"Biglia has two and a half years left on his contract and we would only consider letting him go if we receive an offer of €10.25m. He won't leave in January for a penny less."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports