Liverpool Transfer News: Sturridge, Huntelaar, Ince And Biglia Discussed In Latest Speculation
By Jason Le Miere | December 20, 2012 6:51 AM EST
Liverpool expect to be able to unveil the signings of Chelsea’s Daniel Sturridge and Blackpool’s Tom Ince in the opening days of next month’s transfer window, according to the Times. The two deals have been widely reported for some time and it now appears all but certain they will go through for a combined fee of £18 million.
Brendan Rodgers revealed earlier this week that he would be focusing on adding to his side’s attacking options in January. The prospective arrival of Sturridge will help to alleviate some of the reliance on Luis Suarez who, with Fabio Borini out injured, is the club’s only available established striker.
Sturridge, 23, is expected to arrive for £12 million and will earn a weekly wage of £60,000, according to the Times. The England international has predominantly played as a wide forward throughout his career, although has stated his preference to play in a central striking role.
The former Manchester City youngster was thought to be close to a loan move to Liverpool in the summer, but talks broke down when he stated that he would only be interested in a permanent move away from Stamford Bridge.
The potential fee for Ince is thought to officially be £6 million, although that will effectively be reduced to around £4 million due to a sell on clause inserted when the winger left Anfield for Blackpool in the summer of 2011.
Ince, 20, has been a major success in the Championship since departing Liverpool and has scored 13 goals in 19 league games this season. The England Under-21 international has also been linked to Manchester United, while on Tuesday the Daily Star claimed that Tottenham and Newcastle were trying to hijack Liverpool’s deal.
Liverpool have also been linked with a move for Schalke’s Klaas-Jan Huntelaar, both in the summer and in the lead up to January’s transfer window. However, the signing of Sturridge would appear to signal the end of the Reds’ hopes of signing the Netherlands striker.
The 29-year-old’s contract is due to expire at the end of the season, fuelling speculation about a cut-price January move, with both Liverpool and Arsenal said to be keen. However, German publication DerWesten has claimed that Huntelaar is now poised to sign a new contract at Schalke.
While Liverpool are primarily linked to offensive players, TalkSport reports that the Reds are targeting Anderlecht midfielder Lucas Biglia. If the Reds are to land the Argentina international, however, then they will have to pay £8.35 million, according to the Belgian club.
Biglia has been at Anderlecht since 2006 and has been linked to a host of top clubs in recent times, including Arsenal and Milan.
"We have not formally received an offer for Lucas but we know that his agent is making moves in the transfer market," Anderlecht general manager Herman Van Holsbeeck told CalcioMercato.
"Biglia has two and a half years left on his contract and we would only consider letting him go if we receive an offer of €10.25m. He won't leave in January for a penny less."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Amir Khan Says Algieri Doesn’t Have What It Takes To Beat Pacquiao; Khan Reportedly A Top Contender For Mayweather Jr.’s Next Fight Says Mayweather Sr
- WWE Night of Champions Live Streaming Info, Preview and Predictions
- Boxing News 2014: Nevada Commission Summons Mayweather Over Reports Of Marijuana Use In Mansion & No Rest Breaks In Gym
- NFL Week 3: Washington Redskins Vs. Philadelphia Eagles Live Streaming Information And Preview
- Khloe Kardashian Reportedly Having A Hard Time Deciding Whether Or Not To Patch Things Up With Lamar Odom
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?
- New Zealand Could Be Next ISIS Target After Australia Beheading Plot, Says Expert
- China Is Also Seizing Disputed Land Along Indian Border