Trailer For 'Identity Thief' Starring Melissa McCarthy Debuts: Will 2012 Be The Funny Woman's Year?
December 20, 2012 6:07 AM EST
The latest trailer for the upcoming comedy "Identity Thief," starring Jason Bateman and Melissa McCarthy, debuted on Tuesday. Bateman stars as a man whose identity is stolen by an eccentric con artist (McCarthy). Directed by Seth Gordon ("Horrible Bosses"), the film also stars Jon Favreau and "Modern Family's" Eric Stonestreet.
"Identity Thief" could be one of several forthcoming hits for McCarthy -- who is set to star in three high-profile films next year. The 42-year-old's impressive slate has already led Entertainment Weekly to conclude that 2013 "is shaping up to be the Year of Melissa McCarthy."
In April, the actress will appear alongside Sandra Bullock in "The Heat." The action comedy follows an FBI agent (Bullock) who is paired with a wacky cop (McCarthy) in order to solve a case. The comedy reunites McCarthy with "Bridesmaids" director Paul Feig.
Later in the year, she'll star in "Tammy," a film she co-wrote with husband Ben Falcone. McCarthy stars as the title character, who embarks on a road trip with her alcoholic grandmother (Shirley MacLaine) after her life falls apart.
The funnywoman has been on a career winning streak for the last couple of years. She started 2012 off with an Oscar nomination for her sidesplitting supporting performance in "Bridesmaids" and continued to star in the hit CBS sitcom "Mike and Molly." McCarthy is set to appear in Judd Apatow's "Knocked Up" spin-off "This is 40," in theaters Friday.
In 2011, she took home an Emmy for "Mike and Molly," was named the "Queen of Comedy" by EW, and she hosted a highly praised episode of "Saturday Night Live."
But while McCarthy may be on the Hollywood hot list, that doesn't mean she'll stay there. Women in comedy tend to have a difficult time finding well-developed roles. Despite the "Bridesmaids Effect," which denotes the period just after "Bridesmaids" was released, when producers suddenly recognized the lack of decent female-driven comedies following the success of the ensemble hit, the film industry still largely caters to male audiences.
Furthermore, as the Hollywood Reporter noted last year, "McCarthy has plenty working against her -- she’s a plus-size forty-something in an industry that traditionally favors sample-size females two decades younger."
Yet the actress isn't dwelling on the fact that she's an unconventional star.
"The stupid stuff like what I wear or how I look I can't control, so I just try not to give too much energy to it," McCarthy told the outlet. "At 20, I would have been like: 'Don't they like me? Was it my hair?' ... I think the things that define me, I hope, are a lot more than those kinds of petty things."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 24, 2014: Katie Spills Ridge's Secret Plan While Eric's Announcement Causes A Huge Furor [WATCH VIDEO]
- Brad Pitt Forced To Talk About Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston: Asked to Compare Wife Angelina Jolie With Rachel From 'Friends'
- Ian Somerhalder Girlfriend: 'Twilight' Actress Nikki Reed Heads Back To Los Angeles Solo, Spotted Partying With Michelle Rodriguez At A Fashion Event
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Major Spoilers: Death Count, The Terminus Residents’ Fate Plus Father Gabriel's Past
- ‘Star Wars: Episode 7’ Jungle Stormtroopers On Rampage – Leaked Images [Spoilers]
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions