Trailer For 'Identity Thief' Starring Melissa McCarthy Debuts: Will 2012 Be The Funny Woman's Year?
December 20, 2012 6:07 AM EST
The latest trailer for the upcoming comedy "Identity Thief," starring Jason Bateman and Melissa McCarthy, debuted on Tuesday. Bateman stars as a man whose identity is stolen by an eccentric con artist (McCarthy). Directed by Seth Gordon ("Horrible Bosses"), the film also stars Jon Favreau and "Modern Family's" Eric Stonestreet.
"Identity Thief" could be one of several forthcoming hits for McCarthy -- who is set to star in three high-profile films next year. The 42-year-old's impressive slate has already led Entertainment Weekly to conclude that 2013 "is shaping up to be the Year of Melissa McCarthy."
In April, the actress will appear alongside Sandra Bullock in "The Heat." The action comedy follows an FBI agent (Bullock) who is paired with a wacky cop (McCarthy) in order to solve a case. The comedy reunites McCarthy with "Bridesmaids" director Paul Feig.
Later in the year, she'll star in "Tammy," a film she co-wrote with husband Ben Falcone. McCarthy stars as the title character, who embarks on a road trip with her alcoholic grandmother (Shirley MacLaine) after her life falls apart.
The funnywoman has been on a career winning streak for the last couple of years. She started 2012 off with an Oscar nomination for her sidesplitting supporting performance in "Bridesmaids" and continued to star in the hit CBS sitcom "Mike and Molly." McCarthy is set to appear in Judd Apatow's "Knocked Up" spin-off "This is 40," in theaters Friday.
In 2011, she took home an Emmy for "Mike and Molly," was named the "Queen of Comedy" by EW, and she hosted a highly praised episode of "Saturday Night Live."
But while McCarthy may be on the Hollywood hot list, that doesn't mean she'll stay there. Women in comedy tend to have a difficult time finding well-developed roles. Despite the "Bridesmaids Effect," which denotes the period just after "Bridesmaids" was released, when producers suddenly recognized the lack of decent female-driven comedies following the success of the ensemble hit, the film industry still largely caters to male audiences.
Furthermore, as the Hollywood Reporter noted last year, "McCarthy has plenty working against her -- she’s a plus-size forty-something in an industry that traditionally favors sample-size females two decades younger."
Yet the actress isn't dwelling on the fact that she's an unconventional star.
"The stupid stuff like what I wear or how I look I can't control, so I just try not to give too much energy to it," McCarthy told the outlet. "At 20, I would have been like: 'Don't they like me? Was it my hair?' ... I think the things that define me, I hope, are a lot more than those kinds of petty things."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 Filming Spoilers: Beardless Rick Grimes Seems To Be On The Set
- ‘Orange is the New Black Story’ Season 3 Update: New Corrections Officer To Be Introduced, Likely To Take Pornstache's Position At Litchfield Penitentiary
- “American Horror Story” Season 4 Spoilers: Emma Roberts' Maggie And Evan Peters’ Jimmy Darling To Be In A Romantic Relationship
- 'The Bachelor Australia' Season 2 Preview: Someone Drops The L Bomb, Marriage Proposal In Season Finale
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 1, 2014: Hope Reveals Something To Wyatt And Katie Almost Loses A Loved One [WATCH VIDEO]
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build