Depressed $4.3m Trader Asif Mohamedali Sues Credit Suisse for Unfair Dismissal
By Hannah Osborne | December 20, 2012 6:06 AM EST
A city trader who was fired in 2009 is suing his former employers for the second time, after losing his first appeal against unfair dismissal in February.
He claims his job drove him to depression and that he was suicidal. Mohamedali said he was overworked and bullied by his boss. On one occasion he let his boss know about his suicidal thoughts and was told: "Pull yourself together."
According to Bloomberg, a court filing from November that has just been released says this treatment resulted in him being taken to hospital with severe depression.
His manager, Eraj Shirvani, has not responded about Mohamedali's new claims.
Mohamedali, 36, was fired after the Swiss bank discovered he had been carrying out undisclosed personal trades - breaching the bank's code of conduct.
This was judged "extremely serious" and enough to justify his dismissal. His evidence that he was depressed and bullied, the employment tribunal ruled, was "unconvincing".
Responding to the new tribunal, Adam Bradbery, a spokesman for the bank, said: "Credit Suisse will vigorously defend these allegations, particularly in light of the decision made by the judge in the claimant's employment tribunal claim in February which found in favour of the bank and Eraj Shirvani."
Mohamedali's lawyer, Chanel Alexander, did not reveal the amount sought, but told Bloomberg: "We consider our client to have a good claim for damages based on the bank's treatment."
After leaving Credit Suisse, Mohamedali joined UBS Investment Bank as the managing director of the European high yield and distressed trading section. He has been there since March 2010.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Virus Might Reach Australia in Months; Health Dept Says Australia Prepared For Outbreak
- Woman, 40, Charged after Six Baby Corpses Found in Canada U-Haul Locker
- Six English Words Which Originated From Arabic
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Seven Weird Things Banned by Governments
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28