Depressed $4.3m Trader Asif Mohamedali Sues Credit Suisse for Unfair Dismissal
By Hannah Osborne | December 20, 2012 6:06 AM EST
A city trader who was fired in 2009 is suing his former employers for the second time, after losing his first appeal against unfair dismissal in February.
He claims his job drove him to depression and that he was suicidal. Mohamedali said he was overworked and bullied by his boss. On one occasion he let his boss know about his suicidal thoughts and was told: "Pull yourself together."
According to Bloomberg, a court filing from November that has just been released says this treatment resulted in him being taken to hospital with severe depression.
His manager, Eraj Shirvani, has not responded about Mohamedali's new claims.
Mohamedali, 36, was fired after the Swiss bank discovered he had been carrying out undisclosed personal trades - breaching the bank's code of conduct.
This was judged "extremely serious" and enough to justify his dismissal. His evidence that he was depressed and bullied, the employment tribunal ruled, was "unconvincing".
Responding to the new tribunal, Adam Bradbery, a spokesman for the bank, said: "Credit Suisse will vigorously defend these allegations, particularly in light of the decision made by the judge in the claimant's employment tribunal claim in February which found in favour of the bank and Eraj Shirvani."
Mohamedali's lawyer, Chanel Alexander, did not reveal the amount sought, but told Bloomberg: "We consider our client to have a good claim for damages based on the bank's treatment."
After leaving Credit Suisse, Mohamedali joined UBS Investment Bank as the managing director of the European high yield and distressed trading section. He has been there since March 2010.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Image Of An Alien Revealed By US Intelligence Agent Suggests Existence Of Extraterrestrial Life -- Report
- US Police Officers Shoot 12-Year-Old Child ‘By Mistake’
- Woman Charged For Leaving Her Baby in Drain in Australia Needs 'Compassion' Says Social Worker
- [In Pictures] Police Fire As Protest Turns Into ‘Riot’ After Grand Jury Decision on Ferguson Shooting
- New Zealanders in Australia Consider Moving Back to Home Country For Better Life
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- 16GB iPhone 6 for $99 at Sam’s Club is the Best 2014 Black Friday Deal Around