Depressed $4.3m Trader Asif Mohamedali Sues Credit Suisse for Unfair Dismissal
By Hannah Osborne | December 20, 2012 6:06 AM EST
A city trader who was fired in 2009 is suing his former employers for the second time, after losing his first appeal against unfair dismissal in February.
He claims his job drove him to depression and that he was suicidal. Mohamedali said he was overworked and bullied by his boss. On one occasion he let his boss know about his suicidal thoughts and was told: "Pull yourself together."
According to Bloomberg, a court filing from November that has just been released says this treatment resulted in him being taken to hospital with severe depression.
His manager, Eraj Shirvani, has not responded about Mohamedali's new claims.
Mohamedali, 36, was fired after the Swiss bank discovered he had been carrying out undisclosed personal trades - breaching the bank's code of conduct.
This was judged "extremely serious" and enough to justify his dismissal. His evidence that he was depressed and bullied, the employment tribunal ruled, was "unconvincing".
Responding to the new tribunal, Adam Bradbery, a spokesman for the bank, said: "Credit Suisse will vigorously defend these allegations, particularly in light of the decision made by the judge in the claimant's employment tribunal claim in February which found in favour of the bank and Eraj Shirvani."
Mohamedali's lawyer, Chanel Alexander, did not reveal the amount sought, but told Bloomberg: "We consider our client to have a good claim for damages based on the bank's treatment."
After leaving Credit Suisse, Mohamedali joined UBS Investment Bank as the managing director of the European high yield and distressed trading section. He has been there since March 2010.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Fears Cause Hysteria In United States And Around The World
- Kate Middleton All Smiles In First Public Appearance, Sickness Seems Over
- Kate Middleton To Give Birth To A 'Cheerful' Baby, Duchess Not Carrying Twins---Report
- Baby Corpses Found in Storage Locker in Canada
- Woman Stuck In Chimney: Genoveva Nunez-Figueroa Arrested For Attempted Break-In After Rescue Team Pulls Stuck Woman Out Of Chimney
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report