Depressed $4.3m Trader Asif Mohamedali Sues Credit Suisse for Unfair Dismissal
By Hannah Osborne | December 20, 2012 6:06 AM EST
A city trader who was fired in 2009 is suing his former employers for the second time, after losing his first appeal against unfair dismissal in February.
He claims his job drove him to depression and that he was suicidal. Mohamedali said he was overworked and bullied by his boss. On one occasion he let his boss know about his suicidal thoughts and was told: "Pull yourself together."
According to Bloomberg, a court filing from November that has just been released says this treatment resulted in him being taken to hospital with severe depression.
His manager, Eraj Shirvani, has not responded about Mohamedali's new claims.
Mohamedali, 36, was fired after the Swiss bank discovered he had been carrying out undisclosed personal trades - breaching the bank's code of conduct.
This was judged "extremely serious" and enough to justify his dismissal. His evidence that he was depressed and bullied, the employment tribunal ruled, was "unconvincing".
Responding to the new tribunal, Adam Bradbery, a spokesman for the bank, said: "Credit Suisse will vigorously defend these allegations, particularly in light of the decision made by the judge in the claimant's employment tribunal claim in February which found in favour of the bank and Eraj Shirvani."
Mohamedali's lawyer, Chanel Alexander, did not reveal the amount sought, but told Bloomberg: "We consider our client to have a good claim for damages based on the bank's treatment."
After leaving Credit Suisse, Mohamedali joined UBS Investment Bank as the managing director of the European high yield and distressed trading section. He has been there since March 2010.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton First Official Solo Trip: Details For Malta Tour Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- Fate of MH370, MH17 Trigger Mass Resignation of Crew in Malaysia Airlines
- ISIS $3 Million Daily Oil Revenues Fund Operations; Obama to Build International Coalition to Widen Assault
- James Foley's Family and Boss Reject Syrian Claim of Foley Killed A Year Ago
- British Cleric Accused of Urging James Foley Executioner; Predicted ISIS Will Fight in the West
- Amish Girls Abducted, Handcuffed And Used As Sex Slaves
- Apple on iPhone 6 Release Date One Week After September 9 Despite Display Shortage Starting $800
- James Foley Video Had A Change Of Actor – Expert Points Out
- Canada Concerned About Russia’s Military Expansion in Arctic
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Nokia X2 vs. Nokia Lumia 530 - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Why Moto X is Not the Best Smartphone to Purchase Now?