Ferguson Believes Real Madrid Star Is As Good As Messi
By Vanessa Keller | December 20, 2012 5:06 AM EST
Sir Alex Ferguson says Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi can't be separated for their brilliant talents, with the Manchester United manager also insisting that at this time Pep Guardiola doesn't want to go into management at this stage.
Messi has broken record after record this season for his goal scoring, and Ronaldo has also had a huge hand in bringing Real Madrid enough success to snatch the La Liga title off Barcelona in the last campaign. The pair have been heralded for their achievements and are neck and neck to win the Ballon d'Or.
And with Ferguson enjoying a very close relationship with Ronaldo after his time at United, the Scot says the pair can't be separated for their performances by any critic.
"He[Messi]'s an exceptional young man, there's no question about that," he told Yahoo Sport. "The great thing about football is that great players always come up through the decades.
"What we're seeing at the moment with Messi is an exceptional player in the decade. And Crsitiano Ronaldo another one - both of them, there's nothing between them, they're both the greatest players in the world and there's no question about that.
"You always hope that, even for Manchester United, that you produce a player like we did with Ronaldo."
Ferguson insisted that any projected rivalry in the media between the two had nothing to do with them excelling in the game, saying: "I don't think the rivalry bothers them, I think they've got their own personal pride in terms of being the best, and I know that because Ronaldo was here [at United] for six years."
Meanwhile, speculation has surrounded when former Barcelona manager Pep Guardiola will return to the dugout, with United believed to be one of the destinations he would consider as he makes a move to prove once and for all that his time at Barcelona was no fluke.
Ferguson has been in constant contact with Guardiola during his managerial career, and wrote the forward for the Spaniard's autobiography. But when asked where he might consider heading next, Ferguson was cagey over any details.
"I spoke to pep a while back and he's got no intention of being a manager at the moment," he said. When pressed on the matter he added: "I don't know. His record is fantastic, the trophies he won at Barcelona were exceptional and that's his CV.
"Barcelona always play attractive football and he increased that by putting a new ethic into the them into terms of their style of play, and they're a fantastic team."
Ferguson won't be going anywhere for some time, with some predicting that the United manager could last another 10 years as he continues to bring the club success across the board.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Meet Paige VanZant, The Next UFC Sensation In The Women's Division
- Sharapova, Halep, Ivanovic, Wozniacki, Kvitova, Radwanska, Kerber Make Early Commitment To Stuttgart Open
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- 16GB iPhone 6 for $99 at Sam’s Club is the Best 2014 Black Friday Deal Around
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates