Mayan Calendar Doomsday Prophecy: Mayan Elders Reveal What Will Happen on December 21
By Jenalyn Villamarin | December 20, 2012 2:56 AM EST
The news about a doomsday prophecy on December 21, which is the end of the Mayan calendar, became a controversial topic worldwide. However, the Mayan Elders stated that what will happen on Friday is not really a doomsday approaching but a "transformation."
The Mayan's Long Count calendar end has been broadly predicted as the world's apocalypse from a planet collision or a reversal of the Earth's poles or a zombie attack. According to Mayan Elder Don Carlos Barrios, people have misinterpreted the signs because what will really happen on December 21 is a "rebirth."
"Humanity will continue but in a different way. Material structures will change. From this we will have the opportunity to be more human," the Mayan Elder declared. Mayan Leader Grand Elder Alejandro Cirilo Perez Oxlaj or also called as the "Wandering Wolf" affirmed that human beings are now at the crossroads in need of a transition in order to become united with one another.
Apolinario Chile Pixtun, another Mayan Elder, said to "The Telegraph" that he is already fed up with the inquiries regarding the doomsday prophecy on the Mayan calendar's end. "The doomsday theories are a Western invention, not Mayan ideas," Pixtun said.
The Mayans today are the descendants of the ancient Mayan civilization who traveled from Mexico to Central America. The Mayan civilization may have fallen apart in the 8th Century but their culture and language still continue at present time.
Joseph Gelfer, who is a professional on spirituality, the Mayan Apocalypse and a researcher at the School of Political and Social Inquiry at Monash University, was shocked with the jokes that people made regarding the predicted Mayan Apocalypse. He was hoping the people will take it more seriously until the final day truly comes.
Meanwhile, he also developed the "Gelfer Prophecy" where people will utilize the date as a medium to make things better and eventually change their lives. "Let's imagine there are all these people on the beach at Byron Bay looking out at the horizon waiting for the Mayan Apocalypse to take place. Nothing happens. Then they turn away from the beach, go back to their rented Kombi vans and realize they have to make the changes themselves," Gelfer said to News.com.au.
In an interview with the Associated Press, Mayan Liborio Yeh Kinil said: "If something is going to happen, it's going to happen. Why get panicky?"
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Prince George Birthday: Adorable New Pictures of George Touching a Butterfly on William's Hand Released [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Meeks Death Hoax: Handsome Felon's Fake Death after Release from Jail Goes Viral
- Happy Birthday Prince George: 5 Things to Know About Kate Middleton and Prince William’s Son
- Prince George’s Birthday Celebrations: Prince Charles and Duchess Camilla to Remain Absent from Grandson's First Birthday Party Plus Other Details- Report
- Tony Abbott Launches #BringThemHome Operation for MH17 Victims; Black Avatars Trending on Social Media
- Wildfires in Canada & U.S. ‘Still Active’
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- NVIDIA Shield Gaming Tablet with Tegra K1 SoC Reported to be Released on July 29
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time