Mayan Calendar Doomsday Prophecy: Mayan Elders Reveal What Will Happen on December 21
By Jenalyn Villamarin | December 20, 2012 2:56 AM EST
The news about a doomsday prophecy on December 21, which is the end of the Mayan calendar, became a controversial topic worldwide. However, the Mayan Elders stated that what will happen on Friday is not really a doomsday approaching but a "transformation."
The Mayan's Long Count calendar end has been broadly predicted as the world's apocalypse from a planet collision or a reversal of the Earth's poles or a zombie attack. According to Mayan Elder Don Carlos Barrios, people have misinterpreted the signs because what will really happen on December 21 is a "rebirth."
"Humanity will continue but in a different way. Material structures will change. From this we will have the opportunity to be more human," the Mayan Elder declared. Mayan Leader Grand Elder Alejandro Cirilo Perez Oxlaj or also called as the "Wandering Wolf" affirmed that human beings are now at the crossroads in need of a transition in order to become united with one another.
Apolinario Chile Pixtun, another Mayan Elder, said to "The Telegraph" that he is already fed up with the inquiries regarding the doomsday prophecy on the Mayan calendar's end. "The doomsday theories are a Western invention, not Mayan ideas," Pixtun said.
The Mayans today are the descendants of the ancient Mayan civilization who traveled from Mexico to Central America. The Mayan civilization may have fallen apart in the 8th Century but their culture and language still continue at present time.
Joseph Gelfer, who is a professional on spirituality, the Mayan Apocalypse and a researcher at the School of Political and Social Inquiry at Monash University, was shocked with the jokes that people made regarding the predicted Mayan Apocalypse. He was hoping the people will take it more seriously until the final day truly comes.
Meanwhile, he also developed the "Gelfer Prophecy" where people will utilize the date as a medium to make things better and eventually change their lives. "Let's imagine there are all these people on the beach at Byron Bay looking out at the horizon waiting for the Mayan Apocalypse to take place. Nothing happens. Then they turn away from the beach, go back to their rented Kombi vans and realize they have to make the changes themselves," Gelfer said to News.com.au.
In an interview with the Associated Press, Mayan Liborio Yeh Kinil said: "If something is going to happen, it's going to happen. Why get panicky?"
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ISIS Video of Slain Syrian Soldiers Raises Doubts; Syrian Gov't Demands Release of Captured Troops
- Family of Accidentally Killed Arizona Shooting Range Instructor Charles Vacca Feels Sorry For 9-Year-Old Uzi Girl
- Shocking Ice Bucket Challenge Video: Man Drenches 10-Month-Old Granddaughter, Video Garnered Angry And Appalled Comments From Viewers
- Viral Video Pregnancy News: Young Boy Reacts To Mom's 'Exasperating' Pregnancy News, Asks Mom To Buy Him Ear Plugs
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Firms Up as iWatch Rollout Delayed to Jan 2015 – Reports
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- North Korea Banker Who Manages Money of Kim Jong-un Defects to Russia With $5 Million
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7, Nexus 10 New Paranoid Android 4.5 Beta 2 Update Guide