Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean Update Status for Galaxy S2 and Galaxy Note
By Sarmistha Acharya | December 20, 2012 12:30 AM EST
Samsung has begun Android 4.1.2 (Jelly Bean) updates to the Galaxy S3 smartphone. The software update for two of the South Korean manufacturers' most popular devices - the Galaxy S series smartphone and the Galaxy Note - are among the most anticipated, since this particular iteration of the Android OS was released at Google's June I/O conference. And that popularity meant several test builds of the Jelly Bean software have been leaked.
According to a Sammobile report, the Android 4.1.2 update for the Galaxy S2 is expected in 2013. The European version of the update is believed to be ready but the recent discovery of a security flaw in the Exynos 4210 and 4412 chips powering the Galaxy S2, the Galaxy S3 and the Galaxy Note 2, among others, has delayed its release. Sammobile reports it is likely Samsung will release an update inclusive of a fix for the security flaw.
In addition, Samsung is likely to release a single update valid for multiple countries, which means the time frame for the release is probably pushed forward by one to two weeks.
Meanwhile, the update status for the Galaxy Note is similar to the S2; it is not expected before the New Year. The S2 and the Note were first shipped with Gingerbread and have since upgraded to Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS).
Samsung's earlier comments (via Samsung Sweden) confirmed an update for the S2 in November and one for the Note sometime in Q4 2012. The notice for the latter was then shifted to December.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Celebrities Suffering From Lupus: Facts About the Disease
Join the Conversation
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 to Feature Retina Scanner Challenging iPad Retina and iPhone 6
- Nexus 6 Likely Confirmed as Motorola 5.9-Inch Phablet on Release Date – Report
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs. OnePlus One—Specifications, Features, Release Date and Price Showdown
- These 2 Questions Reveal if You Unwittingly Abuse Alcohol
- Jennifer Lopez and Her Wild 45th Birthday Party: How JLo’s Life-Size Birthday Cake from SamiCakes Boutique Was Made
- Blake Griffin’s Back Injury Is the Reason for His Withdrawal from Team U.S.A.
- Supernatural Season 10 Spoilers: Metatron Capable of Saving Castiel's Fading Grace
- Anderson Silva To Test the Octagon Anew After Freak Leg Injury, To Fight Nick Diaz in 2015